Thursday 24 October 2024

The Colour of Late Spring

 Early Tuesday morning saw us touch down on Aussie soil once again. Our neighbours and wonderful friends, Laurel and Reg were there to meet us. 

They had left this welcome sight on our kitchen table.


I had planted miniature sweet pea seeds in May. They were beginning to flourish when we left 6 weeks ago, but I never imagined I would come home to them still flowering. What is more astounding is that  they are definitely not miniature. The regular rain and Laurel's care has produced this mass from 6 seeds!


The last of the poppies in my front garden also greeted me in full bloom.

And finally, my correopsis that I had been nurturing before our travels, was a blaze of yellow joy.

Wednesday, [yesterday] was of course, Hungry Hiker Day. We set off walking at 7.30 on a local walk. No longer autumn leaves on the ground, but the fallen blossoms and leaves of the eucalytus, jacarandah and acacias.





I was missing the autumn tones of the past weeks, but soon the purple of the flowering jacarandah won me over.





Unsuccessful koala spotting.

Oh, but these cuties had to be photographed in the parklands beside the Logan River.


More blossoms - Jasmine

Oleander

As we neared our cars, the reflections in the lagoon caught my eye, as did the duck and her ducklings and a Great White Heron feeding.



At the end of 10kms, in a temperature that had now reached a humid 31C, the Hungry Hikers did what we do best. Coffee and cake, with bubbles to welcome me back.

It was wonderful to be back with my friends, but I did not enjoy returning to this heat, so early in our summer. Yes, the spring temperatures are gone.

I would love to read your comment.

3 comments:

  1. You’ve enjoyed so much colour this past while and it continues! Nice to see you back home carrying on with living your best life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment is from me, Alexandra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the beauty and the heat! It sounds like the summer will be a scorcher! Miss you both!

    ReplyDelete