Sunday 2 April 2023

Fingal, Part Two - More Waves

 21st - 24th March

I hadn't planned to, but I was awake at 5am and was stepping onto the beach at 5.30 am, on Thursday morning. It wasn't raining, but the sky was still heavy with clouds making an eerie beach scene. 



Someone was on my headland before me!

The walk from the beach to the headland. 
At the top were two quite stunning Pandanus trees. Bottom right, the Pandanus trees along the shoreline. These photos were taken on the return leg. Going up, I had to use a torch light.

Arriving at the top, I found 2 more people who were early birds - a photo shoot.

And so another glorious morning unfurled before me and the waves continued to mesmerise.






7 am


Happiness!

10 am coffee on the headland.






I could hear my favourite little Fairy Wrens chirping but it took a long time to actually locate them. They were mostly flitting through the Pandanus branches. They are never still for long. When I spotted them on the ground, I clicked furiously on zoom. Very few images were worthwhile, but I was surprised and delighted to discover these Zebra Finches.
Back in camp, three Bush Stone Curlews were stalking my site.

Late afternoon, I joined Matthew and his aunt for a BBQ at Duranbah Beach. Here the waves gently rolled in, with a backdrop of soft pastel blue and pink sunset colour.

Friday's early start - 5am.
I had actually been awake since 4 am and as it was pack-up day, I could see no reason to waste 
'wave-watching' time, by lying in bed. I had to turn my iPhone light on to cross the dune to the beach, as it was so dark. There were numerous signs alerting one to be aware of possible snakes. The previous morning, as I arrived at the headland path, I had heard a rustling, and looking down, watched a large brown snake [very poisonous] slither across rough vegetation into the undergrowth. He was going in the right direction, so I wasn't at all frightened. It is when you startle a snake that it will attack.

Safely on the beach, I quickly made my way to the headland for an hour of total serenity. The only other human was a lone surfer below, catching his first wave.



And then there were two, bottom R.





As 7 am neared, I very reluctantly walked back to camp for breakfast and the organising of my decampment. Not only was my very special time here over, but Matthew would be flying back to Graz in just 24 hours.

The beach still captivated me with its special beauty. I would have loved to have spotted a crab emerging from one of these huge holes. 

The seaweed glistened in the morning light.

I would love to read your comment.

14 comments:

  1. What a great place for a photoshoot! Loved all your wave photos. I can see why this is such a special place for you. Glad you got to spend it with your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a great place for photoshoots. There had been a small wedding party, earlier in the week. Special times with Matthew.

      Delete
  2. Obviously you are an early bird and the photos are just wonderful. I admire your courage to walk alone and pass the signs alerting you of the possible snake. I'm so afraid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. margi, I'm not really an early bird, but I don't sleep well so am awake early. Unless there is a motivation like this, I can easily lie in bed reading a book.

      Delete
  3. More beautiful waves! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a few days on the Sunshine Coast, when Matthew participated in the triathlon. The ocean was pretty impressive there as well, but I think you have all seen enough at this point.

      Delete
  4. Dawn at the beach is a glorious thing, but I rarely see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I imagine it would take you a couple of hours to get to the beach, especially with Sydney traffic. I am very fortunate to have city, beach and rainforest on my doorstep.

      Delete
  5. The joys of being an early bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly was during this visit.

      Delete
  6. What a perfect time in paradise. One cannot imagine a more perfect location, the rocks, waves, sand and weather, the peace and time with those you love too. Lots for the spirit and memory banks there, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Marie, you have summed it up perfectly. It just needs the PEI gang a little closer, to be able to share it with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim Fritzemeier14 April 2023 at 08:09

    Several of those ocean shots are breathtaking! I'm so glad you got to spend time with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Kim. Just perfect weather for wave-watching!

    ReplyDelete