Wednesday 19 April 2023

The Joy of Walking Beside Water

 18 April, Lone Gaiter Girl walk

Rachel is hiking the Cumbrian Way in the north of England. Mary is packing to fly to NY to celebrate her 70th birthday with her son and Grandchildren and poor Janice had a leaking pool to fix.

I was so glad that I set off early on this local walk to Eagleby Wetlands on this glorious autumn morning.

A tranquil Albert River as the sun rose at 6.15 am.






It is unimaginable to me, that with 2022 being the wettest year in a very long time, [72 inches] there was no water to be seen in the wetlands! Instead, it was choked with weeds and tall grasses. 


Flood level in February last year.

How they looked in 2012 when I first discovered them.

Bird hide, but very few birds.

My favourite gums were looking very stately in the morning light.


Gum leaves, buds and flower, in the morning light. Bottom left is the flower of a weed, but its looking stunning in this light.

19 April and the Hungry Hiker Four!

Margot is making great progress after her hip replacement and comes home today. Jayne is walking the Cumbrian Way with Rachel and Leanne was at the airport waiting for her flight to Spain.

We arrived at Paradise Point on the Gold Coast at 4pm and covered 8 km along the inlet shoreline before the sun set and the arrival of night at 6pm.






After the walk, we relaxed with some nibbles, a glass of bubbles and fish and chips!


There were several curlews wandering through the park. Such an interesting bird to watch.

We are so loving these crisp cool days of autumn, which add to the joy of walking in our great outdoors.

I would love to read your comment. 

17 comments:

  1. The curlew reminds me of a roadrunner. By the way, the time between the two birds at the bird bath was only a minute or so. And that is our backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get a short video of his 'roadrunner' like movements. He just does short quick scuttles and then pretends to be not there!
    Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty at the best times of day is what you captured! I could swing for hours on end if I had an ocean vista view like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bird is a beauty! I am glad you have some cool weather, Helen. Two lovely excursions again and not in that unbearable heat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo doesn't do him full justice. We are loving autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still strange that you are in fall when we are finally...maybe..getting to spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope spring has arrived. It seems to have been late everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere.

      Delete
  7. Dear Helen,
    so happy you found me. So I have the chance to travel down under. The nature is adorable.
    Have a lovely time and fun with the girls
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been lovely to discover your blog as well Elizabeth. Sadly I often get behind in my reading, but will always try and catch up.

      Delete
  8. Those gum trees are really spectacular to my eye. Your Curlews look very much like our Stone Curlews, though they are extremely secretive and rare birds that I've only seen a few times - they certainly don't wander around in parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be related, John. In recent years they have moved into suburbia, but nest in the most rediculous places. Like walk ways to station entrances. The council is very good at fencing these areas off during the nesting period and thankfully the parents just pretend they are not there.

      Delete
  9. I love the water shots and majestic gums too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really come to love our beautiful gums as I have grown older. Previously I yearned for the English varieties.

      Delete
  10. The picture of the bird is amazing! Another great walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His screeching call in the middle of the night is quite eerie. I've not seen them where I live, but I do occasionally hear their call at night as they fly over.

      Delete
  11. Kim Fritzemeier2 May 2023 at 07:33

    I'm just catching up after a trip. We are experiencing extreme drought in Kansas right now, so the walks along water looked very refreshing to me. As always, this landlubber enjoys your ocean photos. The swing alongside the water looks like a wonderful place to contemplate life!

    ReplyDelete