Monday 2 January 2023

Surf's Up!

 Thursday 29 December

I am very fortunate to yet again be able to stay in my sister-in-law's unit, overlooking the Tweed River and a good 2 km walk to Point Danger, Snapper Rocks and Coolangatta Beach.

I set off at 6am for a fitness walk of 8 km. Fitness was quickly forgotten as the surf held me spellbound. It was several hours later that I returned to the unit for a very late breakfast.




















A surf carnival was getting underway.



30 December
I set off again this morning at about the same time. The waves were still massive but the salt spray and drizzle in the air were limiting the views. I was marginally quicker walking!




3 January

My 5 days here are sadly over. Last evening I spent a couple of hours at my favourite point at Snapper Rocks. 





6 am saw me taking my last walk for this visit. I was determined it was going to be a quick one, but it made no sense to rush and leave this spectacular coastal beauty. it is now 9 am and I am just having breakfast before packing up!

This little Unicorn had lost its owner but was enjoying the waves like me.

Farewell, view!


I would love to read your comment.

20 comments:

  1. Oh Helen you started off the New Year on the right foot in the right place! Looking at those waves, I can almost hear them crashing, which I find to be a soothing sound. Thank you for sharing them with us. I look forward to seeing where 2023 takes you! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a very special start to 2023. Our first walk, tomorrow, is back on the coast watching horses racing on the beach. Very different.

      Delete
  2. Paradise! Just gorgeous! I understand your reluctance to leave. That sound of the sea and the views…gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I like the picture of the surfer and the city in the distance. May I ask you which animal is in the first picture of 30 December? It looks rather scary to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love seeing the highrise in the distance. The animal is an Australian Water Dragon and a very familiar critter along the waterways. Recently we discovered a small one in our garden.

      Delete
  5. I love watching waves. I could watch them for hours. And I'll bet it was fun watching the surfers too. Nice wave pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are mesmerising. It was difficult to tear myself away.

      Delete
  6. Just the sort of place where I'd love to linger. I assume that "snapper" refers to the fish, though it could also apply to the photographers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very difficult not to linger, John.
      I had to google the origin of Snapper Rocks.
      "It is believed that Snapper Rocks were named by W.L. Edwardson, captain of HM Colonial Cutter Snapper which passed by Point Danger in July 1822"

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous post, Helen. I thought there couldn't be anything better than those waves but actually the unicorn photo is the most magical. Perhaps somebody left it there on purpose because the place is so beautiful. Or the unicorn decided themself that that is their favourite view.
    Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very special few days, Sara. Alas, I think the unicorn was dropped by its little owner andd would be very sadly missed.

      Delete
  8. Looks wonderful those waves are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little warmer than your waves at present.

      Delete
  9. I love the coast! Are there sharks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Are there bears?"

      Our beaches are patrolled and if you swim between the flags, one is quite safe. Many of the surfers I was watching were still in the water after sunset. Very brave in my book, but the incidence of attacks is very, very low, like snake bite.

      Delete
  10. I am always fascinated by the ocean, probably because I live in landlocked Kansas. What a beautiful location to begin the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sunsets weren't as good as yours, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great start to 2023, Helen. I can almost hear the waves crashing on the beach.

    ReplyDelete