Saturday 7 May 2022

A Walk by the River

 Wednesday 27 April

It was lovely to add a new trail to our hiking / walking list. The Brisbane River meanders through the city and outer suburbs with the City Council making its banks accessible to the public where possible. I read of a trail through Mt Ommaney Bushland Reserve, which led me to discovering the river trail.

We were to meet at Jindalee Boat ramp at 8 am. Google suggested the journey would take me 33 minutes. Thankfully I left at 7am as the traffic on the freeway was a gridlock. I arrived feeling quite frazzled, but this lovely scene, although definitely flood impacted, quickly calmed my nerves. My companions coming in a different direction, had had a similar traffic experience.


The serenity was emphasised by this Egret, floating silently up river on the tide. On Prince Edward Island, it was 7 pm and I knew the Grandchildren would be readying for bed. I made a short video for them. The scene was so lovely, I've shared it here. You may wish to turn the sound off. There was no sound other than my voice.


We soon discovered that we weren't in the best location for our walk. A short journey in one car, took us to Malaton Street and our lovely peaceful, bushland walk beside the river, was underway.





It was all too clear, that just two months ago, this river was not a peaceful scene.  Residual debris and erosion were repeated indicators.





The blue spot centre, is Leanne doing a reconnaisence, to see if the trail would allow us to continue. It was about-turn, then some street walking to the entrance to the Bushland Reserve. Mt Ommaney is a very affluent suburb, with quiet, leafy streets and very interesting homes. We weren't too disappointed.



There was much yarn bombing of the trees, but with months of continuous rain, most of it was looking a little bedraggled.



Queen Victoria sent a gift of deer to Queensland in 1873, when our state was named after her. They were sent to Cressbrook Station at Toogoolawah, about 110 km from the CBC. It is only in recent times that I have realised how large their numbers have become. I have never seen one in the wild.






The top of this boardwalk brought us back to suburbia and our turn round point. 

On reaching Joc's car we returned to Jindalee Boat Ramp and the delicious morning tea that she provided for us. Chocolate Brownie with Strawberry Coulis and cream.

We have been finding it difficult to find new trails of any length. Our go to longer ones are presently very muddy and leechy. At 10 kilometres, this was a lovely find.

I would love to read your comment.

5 comments:

  1. Ten K is a great trail in my book. That flooding was quite something by the look of the debris now. So much vegetation though. Beautiful! As usual, thank you for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad your trail was damaged by flooding. Looks like you made the best of it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you were able to do your walk. I think many walks are a bit slippery and dangerous at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine the turbulence during the river's flooding. You all look small under the canopy of the immense trees. I love the berry "necklace" draped over the leaves.

    ReplyDelete