Friday, 21 August 2026

Any Excuse to Sit by the River.

 Monday 17 August

The weather throughout Monday was cold, overcast, damp, windy and miserable. Farewell nibbles and drinks were planned for 4.30 pm at The Quay Riverside Green at Southbank. The weather Gods favoured us. The last drops of rain fell as I stepped onto my bus. The sun was shining by the time I arrived.

Joc, Jan and I have made 'drinks by the river' a tradition when we are all off on an adventure.  Jan is now in Slovenia. Joc explores South America in October, and I am off to visit the Grandchildren in Canada on Wednesday.

On arrival, we had the grassy area to ourselves. Soon after, extremely unusually, a pelican flew in. Then a few seagulls, and then many. They were expected, but not the further 6 pelicans who paraded before us. How lucky were we? They eventually left, but as the sun set, we were joined by 3 curlews and their crazy calls and movements.












After a hectic day, these few hours with my wonderful friends brought me a deep sense of peace. The balmy air felt like a gentle embrace. As the sky softened, we all appreciated the beauty of nature, our wonderful city and our good fortune to live where we live. Would we find better in our travels?

I would love to read your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment