Monday 24 June 2024

My Favourite Winter Walk

 Saturday 22 June

My friend Jan has been back from her travels for a few weeks. We hadn't managed to catch up until this weekend. A hike together became the plan. We had had several weeks of glorious sunny days, so I suggested hiking from Lennox Heads to Ballina. As it would be over a 2 hour drive for Jan, we booked a motel to stay overnight and asked Margot to join us.

Alas, last Thursday and Friday were miserably cold and overcast. I was dreading that Saturday would bring the same.

Here we are at Lennox heads - 9.45am and coffee time. 14 C and heavy cloud, but a glimmer of hope to the south, the direction we were taking.

LHS is the south view.

North


Now half an hour later and blue sky was appearing.

One kilometre on - the day was definitely looking more promising as we descended Skennars Headland.





It is over 4 years since I have taken this walk The local council has upgraded the path considerably.  We now walk behind this lagoon, not in front as previously. I missed seeing the rounded volacanic rocks on the beach, but it was wonderful to hear so many frogs croaking.




Having reached the headland in the above image, [Rocky Point] we looked back across the bay to Skennars Head. We were again relieved to be hiking south.

Such a lovely vista though, with the sun glistening on the sea.

One of the reasons I like this walk, is that the trail ascends and descends numerous headlands with marvellous vistas and bay walking.


Six kilometres now done, we decided to take a rest here to watch the Southern Hemisphere humpback whales. They are on their annual migration north for warmer waters, mating and breeding. Sadly they were well off shore, but we could clearly see the splash from their belly flops and tail splashing. We missed seeing any breaching. 



At eleven kilometres, we sat on a rock wall to eat lunch and enjoy the beauty of the day, as seen in front of us.

This was actually our end point. Jan decided she wanted to walk to the Richmond River breakwater, so I joined her and we knotched up another 3 km.

View back from the breakwater. Australia has the most beautiful sweeping beaches.

Spotted on this section. 

We were feeling quite fit, so the decision was made to retrace our steps as far as we were comfortable, and then call an uber to take us back to the car. As it turned out, we happily completed the whole trail by foot.

About 4km of the trail was away from the shoreline and through lovely aussie bush. These pics were taken on our return leg.


Back at Rocky Point, the view to the north had cleared and was a delight to view in the late afternoon sun. Here we took our third and final break.

The surfers were still making the most of the day. It was wonderful watching the waves roll in and crash on the rocky outcrops.



This image of Skennars Head was taken as we set off again and tried to estimate how far away it was. I wonder what you think? I was pleasantly incorrect. 1.75 km by Strava.

It was now almost 4pm, and the sunlight hitting the grasses by the lagoon, gave them a magical quality. I am not a fan of long grass and the slithery creatures it hides in summer, but in this afternoon light they were glowing and beautiful.




The final climb.




At 4.30pm, we had reached the shoreline, with only another half kilometre to reach the car. 
Margot and Jan aren't fans of beach walking. With this beautiful twilight, I just couldn't resist and stepped down onto the sand. I was so glad I did. The next few images will tell you why.







Jan took this one of me in my happy place.

What a finale to an absolutely glorious day! 24 kilometres happily completed.

During the past week, my zoom lens caught pelicans gliding in the mist as the sun rose on the far ponds.


Nature at its best on both days!

I would love to read your comment.

19 comments:

  1. You’ll be doing a marathon next! Amazing feat, Helen.

    Such gorgeous vistas! Love the birds too. The whales, surf and the twilight shots on the beach are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fabulous day, Marie, taken slowly in a blissful temperature.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Congrats for completing such a long walk! The clouds, beaches and waves are stunning. I can see why it's your happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Amazing walk! I love the birds, clouds, beaches, waves..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly was a spectacular day, Margi!

      Delete
  4. Wow 24 k you and your friends are amazing. What a fabulous walk. I would have loved to do that when I was younger. The scenery is unbeatable. Great photos too. Glad the weather turned out fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. It most certainly is a stunning piece of coastline.I sincerely hope that back of yours is improving.

      Delete
  5. It was so much more enjoyable looking at your photos and reading your stories for this very long hike rather than what I saw and read when I virtually did it as part of my challenge back in 2022.

    That weather was ideal to go that distance! So much to savour about your day and you savoured every single second!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely, Alexandra, the hike didn't seem that long. There was just so much beauty to enjoy and appreciate and the cooler weather for walking is magical.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Congratulations, that's quite a hike. The beach vistas are so beautiful, I can see why the hike is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a contrast to your last desert walk and its extreme heat, Peter.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful hike, Helen! You seem to be doing almost every day things that could be on my once-in-a-lifetime bucket list. :)
    The views are lovely and you all must be praised for completing such a long walk.
    Ooh, now I have been admiring the beach views for a long time, too long. :) For today afternoon have been predicted heavy winds and rain. Rain would be very welcome but a stormy wind creates problems every time.
    Happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been gone for a couple of months. Glad to be taken on one of your stunning walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, Joan. It really is a stunning walk. So many places where I would just love to stop and soak up the view.

      Delete
  9. So very fortunate to live where I live, Sara and to have friends who also love to be out and about. I sincerely hope the wind doesn't cause any damage to your beautiful summer garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Can't pick a favorite photo, all are amazing. That trail looks so well-kept - it gave you an amazing walk (and then a walk back)! I bet you slept well that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. Walking in this cool temperature definitely added to the sensational beauty around us.

      Delete
  11. Lucky you. Fab walk in nice weather (and all fairly flat!)

    ReplyDelete