Wednesday 13 July 2022

Enjoying a Host of Trails on PEI


Our magical visit to Prince Edward Island came to a close on July 1. Whilst visiting, I did manage to write a few posts about our adventures on the island.

The island's wide open skies, rolling green fields, meadows of wildflowers, and green forests of every shade and texture, had me constantly catching my breath. I love the Aussie landscape but the 'sparkle', peace and serenity of the island, completely filled my soul with joy.

This post is a little long as I wanted to cover all the trails I walked with my son and husband. That in itself was very special!

The trails were not always long, but the dappled light on paths bordered by forget-me-nots, dandelions, buttercups and daisies were a delight. Unseen birds sang sweetly, leaves glistened and views opened to ocean vistas. They meandered through farmland, beside gurgling streams and lazily flowing rivers. The forests were brightened by flowering apple trees, with squirrels, chipmunks and woodpeckers calling and dashing here and there. In the open, eagles and osprey were seen circling for their prey. Sheer bliss so long as the mosquitos and small black flies were not about. Come full summer, they would be out in full force.

Homestead Trail, Cavendish Beach.






Lunch in L M Montgomery Park.

Robinson Island




This windswept shore on the north of the island lost many trees in Hurricane Dorian, September 2019.

Robinson Island is no longer an island but has long had a farming history.  In the early 1900's cranberries were grown and pickers were encouraged to come from the mainland with the proviso they could take half of what they picked. This frame was 14 times bigger and held 400 bushells of berries.

The Robinson Island circuit completed, Stuart and I drove past Covehead Lighthouse to our next trail.

A tranquil view from the lighthouse on this day. Alas, many a life has been lost along this coastline when conditions have changed for the worse.

Farmlands and Bubbling Springs Trail



The bubbling spring.

There were 20 steps to climb to a bird and lake viewing platform.

Further on, a bird hide had been recently built.

Broughton River Trail.








Mooney Pond








Spring 2022 v Autumn 2019




A portion of the Confederation Trail near St Peters.




Midgell River bridge


Canoe Cove Vistas



And finally, a wander through the amazing and colourful tulip fields at Belfast.




So here I am 'back down under'. Yesterday my walking group walked 10 km of the now-named 'Jubilee Trail' at the Gold Coast. It was a cold 10 C when we set off but the blue of the sky and ocean rapidly warmed us.

Tomorrow, 4 of us are making the 8 hour, 730 kilometre journey to Carnavon Gorge National Park for a week of hiking. It will be rugged and stunning. So very, very different from the beauty of the Prince Edward Island landscape.


I would love to read your comment.

7 comments:

  1. So much to see! Eagles, Tulips, Redwing Blackbirds, beaches... Again you have taken me to places I will probably never see. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You completed a lot of spectacular hikes! Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing. PEI through your eyes, Helen! Great photos. Love your beach. Have fun over the next week. I look forward to the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you were able to visit family after a Covid-imposed hiatus! What a beautiful place! I loved your tulips in bloom photos, but you had many stunning images. The family portrait with the three of you was very good. You all looked happy to be together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous is me - Kim! I don't know why it comes up sometimes and not others. I need to remember to look.

      Delete
  5. You clearly had a wonderful time. I am also looking forward to your Carnarvon photos. We went there once and abandoned at the first creek crossing when my husband fell off the stepping stones into the very cold water (it was winter time).

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived back east, I was not much of a walker or hiker so on my many visits to PEI, I did not see what you saw. Thank you for sharing a whole side of PEI that I did not know existed.

    By now you are on your way to Carnavon Gorge! Wishing you and your friends a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete