Monday 7 December 2020

My Local Feathered Friends

For several months now, I have had a collection of photos in a folder to add to a new post. I have been short on time for blogging, so that post has continually been postponed. A Hungry Hiker evening walk, a week ago, and the arrival of hungry Corrella's in our garden Cypress Pine, has led me to do so now.

Humid heat has arrived with the result that my walking groups are now excercising very early in the morning or late afternoon.

A week ago the Hungry Hikers took an early evening stroll along the Wynnum foreshore. Pelicans are often sighted. On this occasion we spotted in the distance a small group rushing to the water's edge. They promptly jumped up onto the seawall and began to march themselves across the road. Our pace quickened to see why. 

It appears that a resident on the opposite side of the street must regularly feed them.  


Feeding over, one by one they returned to the water. 

The seeds of our cyprus tree have ripened and the Corellas have arrived to dine. This year they are in small groups, but the damage to the tree is still extremely noticeable. They sit on a branch to break off the end of the leaf growing the seed. They then delicately hold the same in their claw, to lift the seed up to their mouth to chew. The leaf is then dropped to the ground.



When I appeared this morning, they flew to the power lines to dine.

Pelicans still regularly visit the golf ponds and are a sheer joy to me to watch, even if it is often from afar because the course is busy. My zoom lens comes in very handy. 


On a near by river walk, I was overjoyed to watch these Red Browed Firetails [Finches] flitting in and out of the river bank undergrowth.


On a mid morning walk, the high canopied trees of the road's central nature strip, were alive with Fig Birds raucously flitting through the upper branches and feeding on the abundance of fruit. It took me quite some time to actually spot a bird, and it seemed like forever to actually get a photo of one or two. The bottom R is the male.

These petite little finches are often heard on the oval, filmed in the videos below. On this morning, they were more receptive to being photographed, even if it was only their back view.

On the edge of the oval is a stand of swamp trees and the fruit bats are regularly seen resting here.

We have several black and white birds and I am forever naming them incorrectly.

The Magpie has a white hood and is predominently black.

The Butcher Bird has a black hood and is predominently white.


Silvereye - a honey eater that rarely sits still, but flits from blossom to blossom.

These Owls were well camaflouged.

Unusual to see ducks in trees, especially this Wood Duck, blending in so perfectly.

His friends.

Two Lorrikeets and their ant nest home.


This chap was seen taking bith his dog and his Galah for an early morning walk.

My son Matthew sent this photo mid year - an emu in Austria!

My zoom was used to take this image of a flowering gum tree. I doubt you will manage to spot any Lorrikeets, but there were masses of them noisily enjoying the rich nectar.

Finally, 2 videos taken on walks in June and July. The birdsong on these mornings was amazing, but I have to add, that at any time of day the air is filled with beautiful calls. I am truely blessed and often stop to listen in amazement. As I was adding these videos [sitting looking over the golf course] the calling of the Corellas was so loud I couldn't hear the video sound, even on full sound. They were joined by passing Rosellas, Noisy Miners and protective Plovers.


And now for the glorious warbling of our Butcher Bird.


I would love to read your comment.

12 comments:

  1. How cool to see pelicans so close up! I enjoyed all your other bird photos too. You have some very pretty and unusual birds in your country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird songs are incredible! Unique and beautiful!

    So many beautiful birds. The pelicans are huge. I couldn’t see the birds in the trees. They were well hidden. The bats hanging from the trees like that are wonderful to see. I never see owls so they were a treat.

    Fantastic post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you know how exotic and interesting all of your birds are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your birds are so exotic to me. I love hearing the Butcher Birds warble. They were singing an aria!I see Pelicans when we visit CA and love to watch them fly over the waves and dive for fish. We have Magpies in CO, but not at my house - I don't think they come up this high in altitude. Lovely post, Helen, of your many bird encounters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous pictures, Helen. The first time I saw pelicans fly over the beach I was picnicking on I thought they looked like 747s--- Still relatively new to the skies. Thanks for a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful bird shots! What a delight. And those pelicans are the cherry on top of the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bird photos, and the wonderful songs in the videos carry the listeners to an exotic, magical place. :)
    The morning mist of the second video looks so beautiful. Taken in June or July, in your winter, that is. (Amazing!) Thank you for your comments. I totally agree that the cold weather is Christmassy. :)
    Stay well, dear Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All lovely but the finches win with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the abiding memories of or trip was the sound of birdsong in the morning. Such a beautiful range of sounds and calls :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to capture a bright red cardinal in the snow yesterday, but, alas, it flew away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, if ever I make it to Queensland, Helen, we will have to go birding together! Feeding pelicans is certainly a new one to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you found this post David. Feeding pelicans is not an unusual occurrence, but for us it was unexpected and so very special to see them leaving the water and crossing the [not at all busy] road. Be warned David, I love birds but am hopeless at naming them. Alas, they never sit still long enough for me.

    ReplyDelete