Friday 27 November 2020

Return to my Favourite Hike

 Tuesday, 24 November

Coomera Falls Circuit, Binna Burra - 18 km.

It had seemed a while and it turned out to be far too long since I had hiked the Coomera Circuit. It was actually 2 months short of 3 years. Definitely far too long, but it had been closed until recently because of the devasting fires which swept though the area in September last year. Thankfully the rainforest on this side of the mountain had been untouched. 

Our early start saw us heading down the trail, just after 7am, after partaking in a quick cuppa.       


Birdsong greeted us as soon as we began our descent to Coomera Falls and Gorge. The trail gently wound its way down through ancient giants, tree ferns, palms and flowering Stream or Helmholtzia Lily, below a soaring canopy.

It wasn't long before Janice and I were trying to capture the beauty of this amazing rainforest.










After approximately 6 km, we reached the falls lookout and  then our journey gradually climbed back up another ridge, following the water course of Coomera Creek, Barrajum Creek, Bower Bird Creek and Hobee Creek. Water levels are low, but the waterfalls were still lovely, cooling and tumbling with song.















The final 6km took us away from the water courses and everso gradually back to our starting point.

During the day, there were many highlights.

Sunshine through the fronds of a tree fern, often delighted.

Looking down on the top of tree ferns at their impressive fronds.

The Stream Lilies were of a soft pink.

Awesome tangled lianas.

Colourful forest fruit regularly litterd the forest floor, but we could not spy them growing on any tree. I believe these maybe a Lilypilly fruit, but am not completely sure.


A Red Belly Black snake was unconcerned with our passing. Mary who was hiking ahead of us, had to wait until another slithered off the path.


Native Waratah stood out with their lovely dark pink colour.

We had to step around this little fellow, very tentatively. We are still not sure if he was sleeping or dead.

Blurry image of the Lamington Crayfish hiding in the water below a rock. At least 5 or 6 were spotted.

A tiny Crows Nest fern had taken root on this liana, hanging across a small stream..

Much of the last few kilometres was through lovely stands of these tall straight trees covered in a lush, 'furry' vine. Very relaxing and cool, as we covered this last distance.

Lunch spot, 4 km from trail end.

Our view as we snacked.

A final cuppa before we hit the road back down the mountain. On our return, we were greeted by a temperature of 32C. How wonderful is the rainforest?

This trail was first discovered Nov 2, 2017. We returned January 16, 2018 to share its wonder with a visiting English friend. Seeing my photos on Facebook, this friend messaged me to say my photos had reminded her at how glorious this hike had been for her. I would love to think, that I could share it with others sometime.

In rereading my blog of 2017, I discovered that the images taken on that day very much mirrored those taken this week.

http://outandabout3.blogspot.com/2017/11/coomera-circuit-binna-burra.html

I would love to read your comment.

19 comments:

  1. Rainforests never fail to deliver magic for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your walk--- And your pictures are outstanding for content and for skill! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill. I love my Sony Point and Shoot. It is light and compact but does an excellent job with a little editing.
      I'm waiting for some god rainfall to revisit the waterfalls.

      Delete
  3. Oh, such gorgeous landscapes with waterfalls, trees and flowers! We can see from your photos, Helen, that you greatly enjoyed your time.
    However, I must say that those snakes would stop me from hiking there. :D
    Have a lovely weekend and stay well! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, it is a magnificent trail. Snakes are just as likely to be in our backyard as on the trail. One just has to take care at all times. I hope you have some snow for Christmas.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful rainforest! I love the tall trees and lush vegetation. Nice capture of the spiderweb. When I hike the same trails year after year I also find myself taking photos of the same things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same view / object but different image.

      Delete
  5. Your green walk through the rainforest was just what I need this morning. Those trees are so interesting, each looking like a special "character" living together in the forest. The water makes it even more special. I'm so happy your can hike with friends again, Helen. The smiles on your faces say it all - a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. I hope it is warm enough for you to enjoy your 'white walk'.

      Delete
  6. What a glorious hike. The area is spectacular.

    There was a time I could do 18k but I never could have done it at 32 degrees.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on the humidity, Barb. This week it is energy sapping.

      Delete
  7. What an amazing hike with lovely scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love tropical rainforests! Thanks for the images of a warm area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a local hiking site that I follow. Someone has since hiked this trail after a storm in the area. The leeches were were out in their hundreds. It would quite spoil the day.

      Delete
  9. My favorite photo in this post was early on - with the light streaming down through the trees. There appeared to be many treasures - both hidden and in plain sight. Another beautiful hike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you liked that image, Kim. It was a special moment when my dear little camera, couldn't capture the full beauty of the sun's rays streaming through the canopy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always love to read your rainforest hikes. So very different to anything we have in the UK or Europe. Brings back find memories of our Queensland trip

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must be great to be able to wander around in a place like this. This is a kind of nature that we do not know here in Belgium. Very nice photo shoot that takes me through this beautiful forest. Thanks for sharing. Greetings, Rudi (from Belgium - Europe)

    ReplyDelete