Thursday 12 November 2020

Spring Storms

It has been a few years since we have had 'good' spring storms. The word 'good' has two meanings. Good as in heavy falls of rain and good as in not damaging. The first storm arrived late October. As I saw the clouds gathering I rushed for my camera to chronicle the low level of the golf ponds and the brown, where the club irrigation didn't reach. 


 


Two weeks later, a glorious green view, the result of 5 storms and 179 mm [7 inches] of rain. We are so grateful and also relieved, that the heavy falls have been widespread in the farming communities that so desperately wanted a good spring season.

On the 28 October, my friend Jocelyn and I, travelled south across the border [now open to us, with a permit] to visit my brother outside Lismore, and then travelling on to Afterlee and our family farm for a few days. It was after lunch time when we arrived at Ian's. Sitting on his verandah chatting, we watched a storm travel quickly down the valley towards us. Half an hour later 25 mm [1inch] was in his gauge.       

                                         

So much beauty in the valley, after the storm.




Driving to Afterlee a little later, Jocelyn and I were oohing and aahing at the beauty of the mist wafting over the ridges on either side of the road.




These storm clouds appeared a day later, as we drove to and from Kyogle to visit my cousins. No rain fell.


We travelled back to Beenleigh via the Mt Lindsey Highway. Not long into our morning journey home, the storm clouds predicted for the afternoon, began filling the sky. We drove through a very heavy deluge, but as we approached the border control, the skies were seemingly clear. The officer checking our pass suddenly said, "Is that hail?" 
Yes, several large pieces fell out of nowhere. We were given the all clear and drove on, thankfully with no damage. An hour later and about 45 mins from home I stopped and took these images, both for the storm in front and behind us, and the stunning Silky Oak trees.


These storms turned into a widespread supercell, bringing heavy rain, dangerous winds and giant damaging hail over a wide area of Brisbane. 

This is the radar image as I arrived home with half an hour to spare. Our storm was very pleasant, even with the hail on our 3 day old pool cover, but suburbs west of us will be suffering the storms fury for months to come, as they try to have cars, rooves and solar systems repaired.






We are the lucky country, but we are also a land of extremes. Drought, fire and floods are never far away.
As I write, today's storms are brewing in the west. This radar image gives the appearance that this front will not repeat the storm of a week ago.


I would love to read your comment.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Those hailstones are giant! Glad they didn't hit where you live. I'm also glad your country is getting some much-needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were rather nasty. Apparently the smaller ones welded together as they fell. Yes, it is wonderful to see the widespread rain.

      Delete
  2. Ya gotta be tuff to live in Australia--- even the hailstones try to kill you. Those are scary! Glad you guys didn't get that kind of damage. The covid here is getting really bad--- and our orange clown is too busy making nonsensical claims and trying to mess up the transition to worry about 150 THOUSAND new cases today along. Keep your fingers crossed for us... Laura and I are safe and very careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bill, I'd rather our scarey stuff to yours!

      Delete
  3. I love the stormy skies, but that hail was monstrous. Even much smaller hail can cause so much damage. It's good to hear rain reports, since you were in the midst of a drought for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 10 years ago there seemed to be a storm dropping hail every night. The damage to cars and car saleyards was incredible.

      Delete
  4. There is no doubt, Helen, that you live in a country of extremes, with a good deal of unpredictability. But as you well know there is an achingly beautiful side to it all too. It looks like we are both stymied for the foreseeable future, however. You can't get to Canada and I can't get to Australia. I had to cancel for July of this year and it is looking very uncertain for next year too. If the vaccine works, and they can get production, distribution and inoculation organized there is a chance, but I fear it is a long shot at best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, David on all accounts. I have resigned myself to no visit to Canada for at least 12 months. I am grateful that PEI has Covid under control and that modern technology has me seeing and talking to Ben and Nora regularly. I must admit though, to being a tad envious of your walks with the adoreable Lily. Take care and keep planning.

      Delete
  5. I remember those big thunderstorms in Queensland. We get storms here but nothing quite as dramatic as those I remember as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a kid, I was so frightened I always hid under the bed covers. Sydney area seems to have the bad wind rather than the hail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed to see the natural scenery of your country also worried about the hail. May you and your family always be kept away from the catastrophe of the ice storm.
    Greetings from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love all those cloudy skies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed a country of extremes, those hailstones are frighteningly big. I normally love watching a storm but I seeing the damage must mean everyone on edge waiting to see if those monsters fall.

    ReplyDelete