Saturday 11 July 2020

July's Buck or Thunder Moon

The appearance of the new moon each month, always surprises and brings me great joy. Its thin crescent glows brightly. The remainder of the moon is in shade, but one can still see a definite outline. Just amazing!

The evening of the full moon [July 5] I drove to the top of Brosnahan Court, only 10 mins from home. Being very steep, it offers wonderful 180 degree views across Beenleigh.

4.50 pm, looking NE.

And the western view.

A rarely seen view in these Covid times.

The moon was due to rise at 5.07pm. The horizon was cloudy, and as the minutes ticked by without even the smallest of a glow, I was beginning to think my luck wasn't with me. Thankfully I turned my eyes further south and managed to glimpse its initial appearance. Can you?

A magical 15 mins of watching it rise ensued.











Returning to the car, the western sky was showing off as well.

8.30 pm saw the alignment of the Moon, Jupiter and Venus.

The following day, my early morning walk took me to the top of Mt Warren Hill, just as the sun rose over Stradbroke Island.


A view of the Brisbane City skyline, from further along the ridge, of MWH.

Turning further west I farewlled the moon as it set.
 

I would love to read your comment.


13 comments:

  1. Such an inspiring post, Helen! Wonderful photos!
    I must try to take more and better photos of the moon... but perhaps your moon just is more spectacular. :)
    The landscapes are very beautiful too and I especially enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of this post.
    Have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular. Dusk is my favourite time of day. Just love these photos! What could be wrong when the world looks like you’ve shown us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you "caught" the moon rising and setting. I like that you're out early for sunrise, too. It's rising here around 5 AM, and I admit I'm often still snuggled under the covers. A lovely post, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done--- Maybe in our winter, I can live with 7:30am. Thanks as always for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo - I want to capture images of the moon like that. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great photos of the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A photogenic reminder that whilst we have our day to day problems in our lives, nature and the universe just carries on regardless

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that moon in my hemisphere. You got such good photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That moon rise was spectacular. I can never take moon photos, but I can admire them! I also loved the color-streaked sky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some wonderful shots here, Helen, and a tutorial in astronomy in the process. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the view of the sunset impressed me. You have captured that moment very well.

    Have a nice week.
    Greetings from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your lovely comments. It was a very special evening where the fading light was perfect for my little camera to capture the rising moon so clearly. The images were also more spectacular for having been taken at a higher vantage point.

    ReplyDelete