Sunday 25 November 2018

Enjoying Nature's Magic - Evans Head

With three friends joining me, I finally managed to take Ellie Eagle away for a four day break at the tiny, quiet, seaside town of Evans Head, just a 2 1/2 hour drive from home.

The magic of nature's beauty was immeditate. Just 40 metres from our site was a huge shady tree. Camping beneath was a young family of four. Their excited three year old couldn't wait to announce the presence of this frogmouth owl nesting above their site.

Our site also had the advantage of a thick bank of trees between us and the ocean. We were lulled to sleep at night by the gentle sounds of the waves ebbing and flowing and woke, a tad early, to a glorious dawn chorous, led by the laughter of the kookaburra.

Once the van was sorted we took the 100 m walk to the beach. On this and each subsequent visit, the seagulls had us enthralled by their antics.

Here they are arguing over a grape that had been placed by someone on this impressive sand sculpture.


Oops!

And the winner is .........


If only a quiet spot could be found to enjoy it!

 Now I'll just share the 'magic' we found, through the following images.















Non venomous carpet snake.














And on our final evening, the seagulls continued to entertain.


So much 'magic', I couldn't help but jump for joy!

I would love to read your comment.

9 comments:

  1. What great wildlife sightings! And such a beautiful campsite right next to the ocean. Looks like a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow---- Some of the very best pictures I've ever seen on your site. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird shots are wonderful as are the coloured pebbles and the cliffs. Fab photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Helen, I totally agree with you. These photos are full of magic! I too liked very much the beautiful pebbles, and of course the beautiful plants, but the two last seagull photos made me laugh out loud. Such perky posers! :)

    As to temperatures, I'm happy you have had some refreshingly cool nights! 16C sounds very pleasant. :)
    I was smiling when I was writing my first reply to you. At the end of November, -5C is not cold. -15C or -20C would be cold. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching TV news: the fires and the hot and windy weather of your area was just mentioned. Keeping Queensland in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sara. Our area is on high alert but the catostrophic alert is some 400 kms north of us. Our winds were ghastly yesterday and I can only begin to feel the fear of everyone in that area, coupled with the heat and smoke.

      Delete
  5. What an amazing spot. Such colour and all that wildlife as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are so full of joy and beauty! Love that one of you jumping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your last photo really made me smile!! Loving your photos Helen

    ReplyDelete