Sunday 30 August 2015

Snatching Walks

To better enjoy the photographs, please click on them to increase their size.

Wednesday 19th August

It is so disappointing, when the business of life, gets in the way of Wednesday walking and that was the case this week. How fortunate am I, to be able to make that statement!

As a result, I was determined to walk locally as often as possible, so 6.30 am on Thursday, saw me securing the house, as Frank had had to leave earlier, to deliver his sister to the airport. The door had just closed, when I realised I had left my camera on the table inside. I decided it was too much of a hassle to go back in and get it and set off down the street.
3 months ago I had spotted a koala in a backyard, as I walked and since then, I carry it all the time. I hadn't gone far, when the thought entered my head that this would be the morning I would see one again.
 I'd made it to the ridge line of Mt Warren Hill, when I heard scuffling sounds on a tree and thought 'goanna'. Imagine my surprise and angst when I looked up to find a KOALA, less than 3 metres from me. I groaned! Second koala in 4 months and no proof. [They are rarely spotted.] I must have surprised him moving from one tree to another and he rushed to the closest gum, which was a short dead trunk. He couldn't climb very high, so we had quite a chat, with only a couple of metres between us.
IF ONLY I had had my camera. Fortunately I recalled that for the 1st time in months, I had put my
el-cheapo mobile in my pocket.
Sooooo, spot the Koala! Frustration continues as I can't get it to download, message or e-mail.

A friend sent me this on reading my tale on Facebook. My koala friend was much smaller. Jenny lives quite close to the ridge. 

Well I would have believed you Helen. We have a resident koala in our yard. I use the term resident loosely. About 12 months ago we spotted it in one of our trees. It comes and goes infrequently.


Saturday saw me heading off early again, WITH my camera. No Koala, but the foggy morning was lovely to be out in.

                            View over Beenleigh
                               Along the top
                                        Foggy wattle
 Looking back to where I had been along the ridge.

Rain had fallen Saturday evening and Sunday dawned very dull, but I found lots to make me glad I was up and about.







On Tuesday, I made the 2 hour drive to Coffee Camp, halfway between Nimbin and Lismore [NSW] to visit my brother. A storm had passed through the previous evening, leaving the air so crystal clear, one could almost see each tree on the volcanic rim of Mt Warning. It was a glorious drive, but along a mostly winding road, so I was unable to pull over and capture the beauty. Below is the view we enjoyed, as we sat and relaxed over our morning cuppa.


[This is the link to my March visit.  http://outandabout3.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/down-on-farm.html]

One doesn't always have to 'hike down under' on a Wednesday, to enjoy our world's natural beauty.

I hope you have enjoyed snatching a walk or two with me. I would love to read your comment.


3 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures--- and I'm sorry you missed a great koala shot, but... The story was almost as good. We're finally getting some rain here--- at least on this side of the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful news. I hope it continues long enough to start regeneration.

      Delete
  2. Cute koala! Love your foggy scenery shots.

    ReplyDelete