Monday 6 June 2022

Eagles, Picnics and Friendship

Thursday 2 June 

I discovered the world of blogging in November 2009. My son, Stuart was working in Banff, Canada. I had a flight to see him for the first time in two years. I googled hiking options, not being aware that snow would fall on the night of my arrival.

The blog 'Banff Trail Trash' composed by the amazing adventureous, Leslie Gerin of Banff, popped up. Through reading Leslie's blog avidly, I discovered Alexandra of Calgary and her blog, 'Still Making Waves on Top of the World'. The connections continued, but it was Alexandra who insisted I create my own site. Not being at all computer-wise, it took some time, but I am so very grateful for her encouragement.

I love that through blogging I can virtually travel regularly around the world and forge friendships with kindred spirits, which has led me to today's post.

Marie, I have just discovered that it is exactly 2 years since you first commented on my blog. Although we didn't realise it, we celebrated with a most wonderful picnic at Cavendish Grove, which I had come to know so well through your blog, 'Island Musings'. The walk to Clark's Pond, under a canopy of glistening, vivid green, spring foliage, along a path edged with forget-me-nots and dandelions was magical. The windswept coastline and pebbled foreshore were a sight to see. Then, the icing on the cake was the numerous eagle sightings, soaring, resting, diving. Thank you for your wonderful writing, photography and friendship and this lovely picnic.

Arriving at Cavendish Grove.



The black line denotes our walk of 6 km return.

Magical spring.






Windswept Cavendish Beach








Entrance to Clarks Pond.


Marie informed me there were far fewer eagles here today than on her visit last week. We were quite sure that this was a result of the extreme wind blowing.





Enjoying The Grove and our picnic conversations.






How special that Marie had organised a Canadian Geese flyover as we departed!

I would love to read your comment.

7 comments:

  1. It was lots of fun for sure. The Grove and the rest of the park are among my favourite places on the planet.

    Your photos are far better than mine. Your little camera does an excellent job! I think the photographer has something to do with it too, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting a long-time blog friend is a joy. I also read Island Musings. The seaside landscape is rugged and beautiful. Those eagles were a special surprise. Your having lots of adventures, Helen. Glad I got to catch up with you. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the world of blogging! Marie and I had recently been commenting how we love your posts Barb!
    Our time on this island has been magical, both family and nature wise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you got to meet in person! I appreciate our blogging friendship across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started blogging in 2009. I've almost given up several times, but I do love seeing other countries like yours through blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was May 28, 2016 when we met in person to hike Larch Valley!
    http://alexmac2008.blogspot.com/2016/05/snowy-symphony.html I remember being excited for that day and looking forward to picking you up in Banff! I am not sure when I will get up to Larch Valley this year! As of June 10th, there is still too much snow with avalanche concerns. The road to Moraine Lake just opened on June 6th.


    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day you got to share with your PEI blogger friend Marie!

    ReplyDelete