Wednesday 2 February 2022

Welcome to February

We have been enjoying a relatively mild summer, ie temperatures mostly in the high twenties and acceptable humidity.

Yesterday, Tuesday,  'summer' decided to give us her worst. Temperatures rapidly soared to the mid thirties and higher, with 90% humidity! By mid afternoon power supplies couldn't cope with the increased demand and we were without power for 2 hours. 3 pm saw the first thunderstorm pass through bringing a little relief. Another at 5pm cooled the air substantially, but some suburbs had rooves torn off, uprooted trees and downed power lines.  

The Gaiter Girls walked locally at 6 am and even then, were soon a layer of sweat.



Janice and I managed to complete the walk still smiling. Well, I think Janice is!

My morning tea coffee was taken overlooking the golf course and wondering at the attraction of the game, given the heat. I believe these two golfers were relieved that the sprinklers came on when they did.

A short time later I overheard another player comment to his partner, "Look at the colour in the clouds." I quickly moved to see. Rainbow colours were very dominate. I raced for my camera but the best had passed.

Looking at the radar images from 2 pm on, we were happy to see the storms building. Thunderstorms are double edged as you would have noted in my opening paragraph. They are needed to bring relief from the humidity, but too often cause damage in doing so. 

3pm saw the storm passing overhead from the west, heading east. Prior to its arrival there was a stillness in the air, and not a sound from the resident birdlife. This soon changed.

 The second, a very light storm passed through around 5 pm. This beautiful rainbow soon filled the sky and I was drawn to the golf ponds to see if I could catch a reflection.



No reflection, but the corellas and remaining rainbow made for some lovely shots.


Had I not walked to the ponds I would have missed the beauty of the western sky.




The north east.


The beam from the 3rd photo above, was directed to this glowing cloud. Unfortunately, I couldn't capture the amazing sight.

South east.


Wednesday's dawn, 5 am.

The Hungry Hikers met at 6 am at Wynnum. The forecast was for a repeat of yesterday. Hot, steamy, grey skies and bay views greeted us! We slogged out 8 km and then went for breakfast.








The temperatures and humidity stayed high, but thankfully no power cuts for us. 3 pm saw today's storm roll rapidly passed, dumping 17mm. Initially there was no temperature drop, but now at 6pm it is a relatively pleasant 25 C.





The forecast for tomorrow is for thunderstorms and heavy rain, commencing very early morning with the  temperature returning  to the mid twenties. It will be very welcome! 

I would love to read your comment.

8 comments:

  1. It's early Wednesday morning here as I type my comment. The thought of your drop in temperature to +25C brings me warmth as we dropped to -25C overnight. I just went out and plugged my car in to make sure it starts. I enjoyed seeing your variety of cloud coverage photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate to get that rain when it is sweltering hot. The skies are gorgeous but the heat sounds oppressive. You did quite well to walk so far in that heat, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely rainbow and cool clouds! Hope you get some relief from the heat and humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't envy your walking those distances in heat and humidity. But those skies ... WOW! I love the light streaming through the storm clouds. Of course, rainbows are always favorites. Our wind chills are below zero here in Kansas the past two days. BRRRR! But we are glad to get some snow on our winter wheat crop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to imagine it being warm anywhere! I haven't lived in humidity since the 90s and I found it very difficult. It makes the skin look good though..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew - too hot for me, Helen, but I'm happy you and the intrepid hikers get out early. Your skies have been gorgeous with the rainbows and cloud formations. Glad the rain brings you some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heat doesn't worry us but coupled with humidity it is energy sapping. Thankfully this summer hasn't seen too much humidity.
    Sunrise colours, crisp air and birdsong make it worthwhile being up early. We manage to beat the traffic snarls too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you and the Gaiter Girls head out walking regardless of weather. A rule I try and live by

    ReplyDelete