Wednesday 1 September 2021

Day 2 - Australia's Ten Peaks Walk

13 March 2021

Charlottes Pass to Etheridge Ridge and Mt Kosciuszko.

It was a hike of changing plans. Initially we were to take this route on the 3rd day, but Mike was watching the weather forecasts and decided it was best on this day. We were to hike from above Thredbo. We arrived at 8.45 to take the earliest chairlift up, only to discover the lift hadn't opened because of wind gusts  of 80km / hour.

An hour and a half drive, then had to be taken back to Charlottes Pass. Hiking from here added 12 kms to the day's expected total. I  was not complaining. 


Our start was chillier than the forecast 2 C, but it was definitely windy!

It was nearly 11 am when we set off along the ridge parrallel to where we had walked the previous day. During the first 3km, we were protected from the full force of the wind. Cloudy, with drifting mist and fog, the hiking was very pleasant on the very gentle gradient.



Now out in the open and the fog thicker, we had to constantly brace ourselves against the gusts of wind.




Sleeman's Hut was to be our rest stop. It played a seemingly endless game of hiding in the fog, making one feel one would never get there.


Finally, respite from the wind and cosy warmth inside the hut. Hot coffee with a drop of brandy, soon had me ready to face the next leg.

Onwards and upwards, the fog still hiding the view.

Snatched moments of beauty.


Six kilometres completed, the ascent to Etheridge commences.
[David]

[David]

A final rock scramble.

1pm
Etheridge Ridge Peak, No 3 on the list, bagged!

Our view of where we have come from, where we should have come from, and where to head next.

Descending.


Not exhausted just in total bliss! The hiker's snow angel.
[David]

Peak 4, here we come! 
The trail to Kosciuszko has been created with as gentle an ascent as possible. On our Australia day holiday in January, over 3000 people made the climb. I'd hate to be a part of that! We were hiking on a normally busy Saturday, but these conditions meant that there were very few others making the ascent.



No 4 and the highest peak bagged!



Thankfully, as we began to ascend the clouds were lifting.

We could now see far south into Victoria and its highest peak, Mt Buller.


I regularly stop and look behind me. On this occasion, with 3 km to complete, the sky was looking particularly ominous! Mike decided to be prepared. I should have taken heed.

Yes, I'll be okay, the storm is passing behind us.


3.30 pm
Kylie and I, striding out as fast as our legs could cope with. The sky is darkening.


4.30 pm
The drama is now over.  One kilometre to go.

Kylie sped to the car, getting damp. I was struggling into my wet pants when the rain hit with force. The wind ripped my umbrella out of my hand. I somehow managed to get the trousers on and ran after said umbrella. It was rescued just as it was about to dance down into the valley. By the time I got back to my pack, the worst was over. Hilarious!

During the last kilometre, the beauty of the majestic snow gums slowed my footsteps more than the day's hiking. Their fresh dusting of raindrops, enhanced the colours of the bark.




5 pm
The fog, wind, and rain failed to dampen my spirits. It had been another blissful day of hiking, summiting and being in total awe of nature's Alpine face.

I would love to read your comment.

7 comments:

  1. Another grand day and two peaks bagged! Good for you for toughing it out despite the less than ideal conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve walked that distance once. Never again and it wasn’t uphill. Well done. Just beautiful terrain and interesting weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40 years ago Laura and I would walk all over San Francisco. But I can't conceive of walking as far as you did here. As I get closer to 78 (in a month) my joints are all telling me that they will go on strike. I loved this walk, Helen. Another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a journey with some kind of adventure every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you'll be prepared for walking the UK's mountains - wet and windy is normally the name of game!
    Congratulations on summiting the highest point!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That definitely looks like a hike to remember. This Kansan can relate to "gusty" conditions. (I'm behind in reading posts. Sorry to be slow.)

    ReplyDelete