Monday 17 May 2021

The Pink Full Moon

Monday 26 April

In choosing a destination for my next camping trip, I selected Lake Moogoorah Camping. This choice was made to allow for wide open, non light polluted star viewing. As our departure date loomed, I began to realise that the moon was showing its face here. A little bit of googling informed me that this moon would be full on our second night in camp. Now I love a full moon, but I now knew that our star watching would be limited. Still, a full moon rising over the lake would be pretty special.


4.30 - Time to relax and watch the moon rise and sun set on Monday afternoon. The moon wouldn't be full, but the lighting would be best for photography.

5.15pm, looking east - Trying to spot where the moon will or will not be seen.

5.45pm - the clouds illuminated by the moon in hiding.

A glass of red and a roaring fire helped ease the disappointment of no moon.

A brief showing through the clouds.


Leanne is a master at creating a good campfire.


The following morning I was up at 5.30am to watch the moon setting behind the hills. Greater disappointment was felt, as the moon was not to be found and the sky was crystal clear. My google search definitely got the timing wrong!

A lovely sunrise followed and Leanne provided a beautiful breakfast. The view was very soothing.

Tuesday 5.50pm - The sun had fully set, but we watched with awe, the glowing 'Pink', full moon rising in the east.





Wednesday morning I tried my luck again.  At 6am, the moon was still far above the horizon.

We watched it slowly sink, enhanced by the ever changing sunrise glow.






A last image at 7am.

Our day was filled with joining our Hungry Hiker friends on a hike to the beautiful Cronan Falls. In the evening, it was very pleasant to relax and watch the flames dancing. Mesmerising!

This cute possum came for several visits. My camera isn't good for night images.

Our last morning. A beautifully painted sky.

The sky rapidly cleared to fluffy white clouds with a back drop of crystal blue.


No stars, but happiness abounded in every shape and form during our short stay here.

I would love to read your comment.


14 comments:

  1. Although you were foiled by clouds the first night, it looks like the other days redeemed themselves. Nice sunrise and sunset pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Linda, it was all pretty special.

      Delete
  2. Wow - glorious views and shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beauty. Watching for the moon can require patience but is so worth it. Excellent photos, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a novel once--- "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" In your case it was a coy lover--- except for your marvelous sunrise shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment Bill. Thank you. More on the sunrises next post.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had loads of success in every which way! My favourite is when the moon is setting and there is a soft pink glow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are seeing a lot of the soft pink and blue glow at present.It's just lovely.

      Delete
  6. Precioso reportaje, me ha gustado mucho. Saludos desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never seem to take moon photos with my little camera, but I certainly enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are good at dim light photography of the moon! The night photos of your campfire are mesmerizing. Roasted marshmallows, too!

    ReplyDelete