Wednesday 24 February 2021

Coomera Circuit

Wednesday 10 February

I had walked this wonderful, 18 km circuit  with my more agile Gaiter Girl group previously. Although long, the gradient of the trail was very manageable. It was to be well over 12 months before I was able to organise the Hungry Hikers to join me at Binna Burra, the trail's starting point.

The very generous and kind Leanne, who loves cooking, had been up very early and prepared delicious bircher museli and  cornbread, warm enough to spread with butter, to energise us for the day's hike.



We were on trail by 8.30 am. The first 6 kms wind gently down to the Coomera Gorge and falls, beneath a canopy of ancient towering trees.







First view of the falls.


Coomera Gorge and falls.

Spot these beautiful tree ferns in the photo above.

In a small area near the falls view point, these ground orchids were putting on a snowy white display.

Leaving the view point, the trail narrowed and dropped steeply to the creek below. Waterfalls were cascading down mossy cliffs on the opposite bank. For roughly the next 6 km, we were accompanied by the sounds and beauty of this creek making its way down to the gorge. 






Fourteen creek crossings had to be negotiated.









And just to add to the fun, a snapped tree trunk.



Lunch spots were found where we could cool our feet.

This trail section had a variety of fungi and moss.




A bench had been strategically been placed at this viewpoint of the Nunimbah Valley.

The trail map had said 18 km but our various distance trackers suggested 21km. A long but successful day and the group are still my friends. 

Laurel had just had a birthday which Leanne acknowledged with these super delicious cup cakes. A wonderful finale to this incredibly beautiful day.

I would love to read your comment.

12 comments:

  1. Heaven! The trees are so big I fear I’d have my neck broken from looking up. The vegetation is so interesting. The waterfalls alone would be reason to go on that trail! Glad your friendship survive the hike. Lol.

    I envy your ability to walk so far. I could walk that one time. Due to back issues I am lucky to do 2 km now. Aging bodies make me sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you can now enjoy your cycling, Marie. One has to remind oneself to stop and look up. Pure magic when one does but the trails are narrow and I have to watch each footstep.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing those huge trees and the gorgeous flowers. You had quite a scramble through water and over rocks. I like the exhausted photo at the end.Well done,Hungry Hikers!Yum to the birthday cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scrambling was fun but hard work. I was just so grateful everyone came back in one piece. I don't think this group will do a walk as difficult as this again.

      Delete
  3. Waterfalls, flowers, fungi and an abundance of greenery! What a beautiful hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on top of my list for walks with you when you visit in future.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful waterfalls-- Interesting fungi, and cupcakes--- what more could you want. By the way--RE: the tanker in the Columbia. It was extremely peaceful. We could barely here the engine, and the wake was surprisingly small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Bill, with these amazing trails through the rainforest, there isn't much more to want.

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a beautiful hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Te rainy summer we are having has made all our trails even more spectacular.

      Delete
  6. Great food and a lovely hike!

    ReplyDelete