Thursday 11 April 2019

Scooting not hiking - Manly

20th March

Brisbane introduced 'Lime Scooters' to its streets prior to Christmas.


"Electric scooter rentals from Lime. Lime-S is the fastest and easiest way to get where you're going. Download the Lime app and try Lime electric scooters today!"

They look a lot of fun, but have caused numerous problems regulating them.

When Leanne suggested The Hungry Hikers should try the 'scooters' at Manly, I was quite excited to give them a go. The thought was "what a relaxing way to see the Moreton Bay foreshore".

As always, a 'cuppa' initiated our day. I just love Jenny's serviettes.

Leanne had arranged that we meet Danny, of Scooterbike Adventures, under the fig trees at Manly.

Danny was very welcoming and encouraging. He launched into a safety speil that quickly had me realising, that these scooters weren't motorised! Horror of horrors initially, but now totally won over. 

Helmets had to be donned.

And adjusted.


Learning how to use the breaks.

How to get on and off.

Having passed our skills test, we were now free to 'scoot' for 1 1/2 hours.


Perfect Moreton Bay weather for scooting.




Some very fortunate school children were just completeing a sailing lesson. We were impressed with how orderly they were sailing back to harbour, until we realised they were on a tow line. Still, great to watch. Such colourful sails.




It was just a tad hot and also hard work. Rest stops to enjoy the view were quite necessary.


Scooting completed, time for refuelling and watching the birds.






A slo-mo video of me trying to use the correct 'scoot' action.

This fabulous day 'out and about' wasn't over. It was full moon eve, and the evening didn't disappoint.







Finally clear of cloud!

Well, I highly recommend 'scooting' as an amazing means of excercising and in my case, it would be excellent for increasing my bone density. One just has to remember that although it might have the feel of a bike, there is no seat to sit on, once you have stopped. Danny 'scoots' all over Brisbane. There are scooting clubs and world competitions. All new to me. What about you?

I would love to read your comment.

13 comments:

  1. New to me as well. You guys do have fun! Love the moon shots and the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny sells them at a base price of Aus, $450. There is arange availble, depending what you want to do with them.

      Delete
  2. I have never scooted. I didn't realise they had such big wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, they are like a bicycle without a seat. The tiny back wheel even has a mudguard.

      Delete
  3. Fun way to exercise, sunshine and fish and chips for lunch. What's not to like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice moon photos. You are your friends look like you were having fun on those scooters. We had smaller electric scooters in Portland last summer as a pilot project. I have to say I hated them! They were all over the sidewalks, and I almost got hit several times. Sadly, I hear the city is going to bring them back....oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Your electric scooter problems are the same as here. 120 people taken to out patients in 2 months and 300 fines by police.

      Delete
  5. It looks like a fun & different way to spend the morning. Your video did make me smile. Lovely demonstration there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More stunning pics! I love the adventures you go on.

    ReplyDelete