Monday 2 October 2023

No, It Isn't Autumn!

 I have just spent another glorious 4 days down on the family farm, at Afterlee in Northern New South Wales. I wasn't looking forward to the drive down as the past few months have been extremely dry and the fire danger ratings soaring. The weather forecast stated that there was a possibility of a few millimetres of rain, but no one was at all hopeful.

I set off at 8.30 a.m. for the 2-hour fifteen-minute drive. There was so much beauty in the day that I took nearly 4 hours and arrived in drenching rain, which brought the biggest smile to all the farmers and gardeners. My cousin recorded 28 mm. Further along the creek, 42 mms were noted. Back here in Brisbane, my husband emptied 14 mm. There is now a prediction for more to fall later this week. Fingers crossed.

The further south I travelled, the more dramatic the skies became, accenting the beauty of the flowering Silky Oak trees.

The Silky Oak or Grevillea Robusta is an Australian native tree growing up to 30 metres and lives up to 100 years. They have an ancestry older than the dinosaurs, originating on the super-continent Gondwana. It is quite drought-resistant and I was thrilled that my visit south coincided with its flowering.

Although an evergreen tree, it is almost semi-deciduous, losing most of its foliage just prior to its October flowering. Its bright golden-yellow flowers are actually flower heads made up of 100 small small flowers. They produce large amounts of pollen before a seed capsule is produced. The Honey eaters and parrots love them for the nectar and the cockatoos for the seeds. 

My post, " Breakfast with my Feathered Friends" features the smaller and cultivated varieties of Grevillea.

Views on the journey down.










Down on the farm.







A sunny drive home.








I would love to read your comment.

20 comments:

  1. It sure looks like autumn! Beautiful sights as you began your get-away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever seen the Silky Oaks looking so spectacular before.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful trees! They almost look like golden larch trees in the Pacific NW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour is similar but you would have many times more, Larches.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting tree. I hope there will be more rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blossoms really do look like autumn leaves. So pretty though. I am glad you had rain there though it would have been nice without it on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When things are this dry, Marie, one doesn't complain. It refreshes everything.

      Delete
  5. I would like to have been there today....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would have been nice, Bill. I am enjoying your Autumn colour.

      Delete
  6. What a fascinating tree and your photos are lovely, both the ones taken from far and the ones through the branches towards the brilliant blue sky. It certainly looks like autumn there. :)
    The rain sounds gorgeous. Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was much needed, Sara. More would be wonderful. Happy October back to you.

      Delete
  7. I'm hopeful that we will get some rain this week. The forecast was more promising earlier, so we will see. I'm glad your farmers got some, though. The cloudy, blue sky made the colors pop, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for Kansas rain, Kim. It is certainly long overdue.

      Delete
  8. What a stunning tree; it does look quite autumnal. I haven’t visited before and it’s lovely to see your beautiful countryside. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time last year the countryside was a lush green, after several very good seasons. It is sad to think we may be heading back to drought. The pops of golden colour lifts one spirits.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing these wonderful images with us! That tree looks amazing! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Sara, it is a stunning beauty at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect time for your drive. I enjoyed learning about the cycles of the Silky Oak.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They were just as stunning this weekend, as I returned for the Kyogle Show. It was also drizzling and atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete