Monday 21 August 2023

A morning with the Humpback Whales

Saturday 12 August

My friend Jocelyn and I decided to repeat the small boat, whale-watching experience of last year. A small, inflatable, speedy craft, with a maximum of 12 passengers was again chosen. The seas were more cooperative than last year, so we didn't come back wind-swept and frozen. 

Initially, the whales were staying hidden, so we had to zoom several kilometres offshore to find any activity. When the blow of the first whale was spotted the six "swimming with the whale participants’, quickly jumped overboard and grasped the safety line. 


9.42 am

We weren't the only ones excited, but the whales were soon on their way.

10.08 am - another short-lived sighting. The swimmers were no sooner in the sea than they had to return to the boat, for us to try and follow the whale's direction.

10.31 am - The swimmers didn't have time to leave the boat.


10.53 am - everyone had their eyes peeled to spot a spout. Success!

A mother and calf decided to swim alongside us, about 100 metres away. They stayed with us for a good 20 minutes, with the calf putting on a spectacular show, as he practised breaching. Mum, just gently lolled and rolled in the water nearby.

Our hopes rise.


The calf begins to play. 

Sadly, the swimmers are not allowed to enter the water when there is a calf. This however, meant the boat was able to motor slowly along with the mother and calf, at the required distance.




Mum was seemingly not stressed by our presence.





Our three-hour tour all too quickly came to an end. Thanks to the antics of the calf, we came away exhilarated and planning another excursion next year. We will however make sure that there are only whale watchers on the boat and no swimmers. Too much time is lost while the swimmers return to the boat. The whales were all too easily leaving us behind.


Thanks for everyone's best wishes. I am pleased to report that finally, after 3 weeks, I have regained my energy, if not my fitness and was able to spend a very productive weekend in my garden.

I would love to read your comment.

17 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you are feeling better.

    I was whale watching on a similar tour in Newfoundland. Spectacular! So was your visit. I can understand repeating the experience.

    On our daughter’s trip to Newfoundland recently, they stayed at a tiny house on an island off the coast and at night they could hear the whales nearby. They really enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marie. We are so fortunate that the whale numbers are recovering from approx 100 when whaling stopped in 1965 to 25000 now. How wonderful to fall asleep listening to the whales. We were told to whislte and wave our arms to attract them. I'm not sure if we were having our legs pulled or not.

      Delete
  2. After seeing humpback whales in Alaska last year I share your joy for whale watching. I'm glad you got to see the mother and calf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I was thinking of all your amazing pics as I wrote this post. Just grateful to have had this couple of rewarding hours on the water with them.

      Delete
  3. Spectacular! I can understand your excitement when you see the whales. We were in Norway, but the whale safari was canceled due to bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you missed them, Margi. They are nature's gentle giants and magical to watch.

      Delete
  4. Delightful!! I am green with envy! And I'm glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special morning, Bill. It is wonderful to have my energy back.

      Delete
  5. Good news that you are feeling better! That experience looks like sheer joy, especially when you got to see a playful calf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alexandra, the happiness metre was soaring.

      Delete
  6. That is so cool! I'm also glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, what a wonderful experience!
    Marie's comment made me think that recorded whale sounds would be lovely for helping people fall asleep. (Surely this has already been invented. :))
    Thank you for the beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had time to listen Sara, but yes, Utube has recorded whale sounds for sleeping.

      Delete
  8. That's something I've always wanted to do, though I'm a very bad sailor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sea sickness can spoil the adventure for many. I always take my tablets, just in case. It is thrilling to be skimming across the water in such a small craft, that I think the adrenaline helps prevent being sick. However ,if the sea was a roller coaster as we sat watching, I might feel otherwise.

      Delete
  9. What an adventure! Not sure I'd want to swim with them though. Unfortunately, I get sea sick. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete