Wednesday 26 July 2023

Prince Edward Island - Part Two

 Flowers and Fields

Frank and I have been home a week today from our wonderful month with our family on Prince Edward Island. We miss our family terribly along with the enchanting natural beauty of the island, especially as, no sooner had we returned than Frank caught the flu. Sadly, 3 days later he shared it with me. It has been miserable. Today is the first day I have been able to focus on anything other than sleeping, aching and coughing.

Today I have cheered myself by scrolling through my many, many images taken during our visit and I've decided to limit this post to the flowers and fields. Oh, the joy they brought me daily as spring emerged and fields became productive. I love Australia, but we don't do 'green' or meadow flowers as seen on the island. As a bonus, of course, we don't do 5 or 6 long months of winter!

The late arrival of spring meant I hadn't missed the flowering of the peonies. 

Day one's sensational, exqusite beauty.






Day two saw heavy rain all day, and the peonies suffered!

It is too hot to grow tuberose begonias here. It was a joy to see them everywhere in baskets and pots in full sun.



The petunias suffered from the rain too.

An oft-seen sight of flourishing roses.

The lilacs bloomed!


Yellow amongst the green is always stunning.


The late arrival of spring this year made me understand more fully the happiness that potted colour brings to the islanders. This nursery had me oohing and aahing and wanting. 

Yellow in the field behind our accommodation. Meals were had beneath the shady trees overlooking the field.



A verge of wildflowers above the family's closest beach, Rice Point. The family were well settled before I joined them.

Just one of the many dandelion images taken over four weeks.

Magnificent iris.


Walking trails and wildflowers



A wheat field at the bottom of our street.

And elsewhere.


A very productive field of some type of legume.

A lush green vista at Souris.

As we were leaving, the potato fields were erupting in white blossoms.

Patchworks of colour.


Contented cows, in this lush green field, snapped from the car.

Coastal vista - just wonderful.

And in total contrast, this splendid Grevillea brought a big smile to my face on our return home.


I would love to read your comment.

21 comments:

  1. It is fascinating to see the island through your eyes, Helen. I love your photos. You do a much better job at photographing the fields than I do.

    I dead-headed the peonies this week and weeded a bit again today. I am considering a garden for the back since my plants need to be thinned and I hate to part with the plants.

    The humidity is supposed to break this weekend. Yay!

    Hope you are both fully recovered now.

    I’ll write soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, most of my field photos are from a moving car! There are so many more that I would like to take, but the chauffeur won't stop.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear you have both been ill since you got home. It was lovely to see your images of Prince Edward Island some of the location s look familiar due to Marie's wonderful blog. I have ancestors who lived and were born in Prince Edward Island so it is always lovely to learn more about it. Sarah x

      Delete
    3. Yes, Marie's blog is wonderful, isn't it? Marie has helped us to discover more of the island's beauty. I wonder how your ancestors came to the island and what hardships they had to face?

      Delete
  2. I can see why you miss the island! Your pictures always lift my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing post, Helen! For me, the loveliest photos are perhaps those of the light pink peonies that look made of whipped cream and roses. :) Some of the views could be from here and I see (of course) many plants that could be from here, the ones in your photos just have a more abundant blooming. :)
    I too hope you are both well by now.

    You may have noticed I disappeared from Instagram. I became too tired with some issues and I have been happy and more effective now, spending less time on the Internet. I'm happy to have more time for the blog as well. :)

    Big hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, the exquisite beauty of the peony, constantly amazes me. It is now a week since I fell ill with this wretched flu, and I still have no energy.

      Delete
  4. You hit PEI's prime time for flowers which brings so much colour and cheer! I found myself looking at every little thing in your photos, even the backgrounds, between the trees and flowers, I did not want to miss a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't want to miss any of the beauty when I am there, Alexander.

      Delete
  5. Kim Fritzemeier27 July 2023 at 13:05

    What a beautiful place! Those peonies were gorgeous. They are favorites anyway, but those first images are magnificent. All the flowers of every color of the rainbow were a beautiful backdrop to the time you got to spend with your family. I'm so sorry you were ill as you arrived home. I'm sure you were "homesick" for your family anyway, and having the flu likely compounded everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful flowers! Thank you for sharing with us. Glad to hear you and your husband are on the mend from your flu bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peony is a sensational flower. I wish I were over this bug.

      Delete
  7. I have not seen this kind of peony in the first few photos. It's really stunning. Cows in the field look comfortable.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fields and flowers are lovely. I was surprised at the tuberous begonias flowering in spring. They flower in late summer/autumn in my garden. Those grassy fields remind me that the endless mowing of spring/summer is only weeks away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan the begonias I saw, would all have been grown in hot houses. They were only just going into the planter boxes at the beginning of July.

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful place. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, what a bloomfest on PEI! Those Peonies are gorgeous! Sorry to hear you got sick upon your return. You may have been exposed on your flight - I had no idea it takes 20 hours of flying.

    ReplyDelete