Wednesday 26 October 2022

Plunkett Conservation Park Spring Colour.

 Wednesday 7 September

The Hungry Hikers chose a closer location to wildflower hunt. Plunkett CP is just a 20 min drive from Beenleigh, with very little traffic.

It was again a cool spring morning but it didn't take us long to shed layers. We headed for Wickham Peak with its views across to the Brisbane City skyline and hinterland ranges. The hike is a mixture of gravelly or sandy trails or walking on sandstone slabs. Not far from our starting point is a long steep ascent with impressive cliffs and gullies. It was here that we found our native bushes in flower. There had also been a fire management burn recently and the flora was responding happily.


Play acting for our absent friend Jocelyn,  who took a little tumble here on a previous walk.

Grass Trees














Banksia - flowering finished.

Fresh brush of Banksia.















A short drive from Plunkett took us to a lovely park beside the Albert River for morning tea.

A belated post, but I am still finding joy in our cool, rain-filled, lush green, colourful spring. 
Here it is the end of October, and the thermometer has only just decided to stay in the 30s. Wonderful!

I would love to read your comment.

17 comments:

  1. The beautiful blooms of spring there are wonderful to see, Helen. Temperatures in the 30s would be too hot for me. It was 20 C here today though. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I am so glad you are having a lovely autumn.

      Delete
  2. You're all goofy! But don't ever change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love being 'goofy', Bill. I doubt that will ever change!

      Delete
  3. Spring blooms are beautiful. Your hiking seems so adventurous and funny. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margi. I believe I am enjoying your blog just as much as you are mine. It has been so lovely to find yours.

      Delete
  4. Love all the spring color! I'm a sucker for wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our wildflowers are so different, Linda but equally beautiful in their own way.

      Delete
  5. We are sneaking into the low twenties each day. It is certainly a cool wet spring, which had me wondering how they managed to get any controlled burns going. I heard they are putting goats in to clear the grass around here because the vegetation is too wet to burn. I love all those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been commenting how wonderful all the rain is but then wondering about the consequences for next summer. ie bushfires!

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous post, Helen! The flowers are wonderful. (And in many of these photos, the rock looks very interesting too.) I'm happy you share your fun walks with us.
    Oh, I wish the Grass Trees would grow also here!
    Thank you for the kind comment yesterday. Have a lovely week ahead! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed our hike, Sara. Grass Trees are completely native to Australia, loving heat and dry.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful sky backdrop to accent all the pretty colors! It's amazing how restorative fire can be as grasses come back. Pastures in the Flint Hills of Kansas (and elsewhere) are burned off in similar fashion. It's been part of spring renewal in Kansas since the Native Americans did it long ago, and ranchers continue today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comment above was mine. I don't know why it turned up anonymous.

      Delete
  8. I love our blue sky, too Kim. When we have bushfires here there is always a lot of discussion as to why we don't follow the lead of our First Nation People. It seems that the authorities are now moving that way.
    Re your name not appearing, if you can remember just add your name to the end of your comment. I have to do that with one blog I follow.
    I usually know from your comment that it is your lovely self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely hike, and I love the Banksia brush. By now, I guess your weather has gotten warmer. We are having snow - and cold. Seeing your flowers is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Barb. I am pleased to report that except for the occasional day we are still enjoying very pleasant weather. Last night I even had to pull a blanket up. Your snow looks so magical to me but I fully realise that this beauty comes with its trials and tribulations.

    ReplyDelete