Saturday 20 August 2022

Colour in a Winter Garden.

The first half of our winter was unusually wet and cold. August normally brings blustery, chilly, westerly winds. This week, winter has been perfect! Minimums of 7C but with glorious, blue sky, wind-free days. Our garden is small and is often at its best at this time of year, before the heat of summer.

View from the road.


Splashes of colour.








The garden is comprised of mostly native shrubs that, other than a little pruning here and there, look after themselves. The Grevilleas will nearly always have one or two blossoms. At this time of year, however, they are a mass of colour, nectar, bees and birds. The Blue-Faced Honey Eaters appear to be in bird heaven as they enjoy this banquet of nectar. Much time is being wasted watching their dining.
















Feeding antics.

Family occasion.




We used to have a bigger variety of birds in our garden, but both the Indian Myna and our native Noisy Miner bird have become so territorial, that other birds are now excluded. Just this morning I was enjoying watching a kookaburra sitting on our fence. A Noisy Miner soon arrived and chased it away. I read this week, that the Noisy Miner is now causing havoc with kookaburra numbers, even though they are both native Australian birds.  
The Noisy Miner is a small bird but they work together to chase the larger birds away.

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my winter garden.

I would love to read your comment.

15 comments:

  1. I love the blooms and the birds in your winter garden, Helen. The honeyeaters are so pretty and stand out in that tree with its red blooms. Gorgeous! It must be fun to watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our garden is still in recess but has some bulbs out which I might post next week. Your grevillea is looking great. I heard kookaburras in the garden today ... fortunately no miners around here to chase them (yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, the grevilleas are the best in years, thanks to a year of rain.

      Delete
  3. What a spectacular bird! And what a lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bill. The blue around the honey eater's eyes is just stunning.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tour of your beautiful garden. Love those blue-faced honeyeaters! What pretty birds. Too bad the Miner birds drive all the other birds away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly amazed that the larger birds allow it to happen.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post, Helen! I don't remember many posts that would have so many photos of your garden flowers. The photos are spectacular but it was sad to read about the different bird populations. I had never heard of Noisy Miners. Their Finnish name has a word "soldier" in it. Indeed they defend their territory like an army.
    Thank you for your comment! I look for clothes and accessories online because I live far from all interesting shops. :)
    Stay well & happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sara. Glad you enjoyed my garden. So different to yours. The Noisy Miner is a native of Australia.

      Delete
  6. Your winter garden is very beautiful and I love the pictures of the birds. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margi. I would love to be able to swim in your Nadiza River. The water looks so clear and pure.

      Delete
  7. Thank You for welcoming us to your garden! It's so full of delight! I like the photo of the collection of potted plants with all the added touches, I believe I see a ladybug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many ladybirds in my garden. Most are gifts from rather special friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos of the birds among the blooms! Everything is so colorful!

    ReplyDelete