Saturday 1 January 2022

The Year of 2021

 In my neck of the woods, a year not very different to 2020. 

Our Premier may not have won favour with the rest of the states, but here in Queensland we were mostly able to continue to have 'normal' lives, thanks to her insistance on keeping our borders closed. Vaccines became available for over 65's in early March and gradually enough were available for the general populace. Alas, not everyone rushed to be vaccinated, so it is only in the past month that 80% of our population have become double vaccinated. I'm happy to add, that I have now had my booster.

Our border opened mid December. Omicrom arrived and now our Covid numbers are doubling daily. This seems to be the story around the world. The next few months are going to be interesting. One can only hope that everyone's New Year's wish for a return to 'normality' will be granted in 2022. 

Through scrolling through my photos to make my selection, it has reiterated how fortunate I have been. So many happy memories of special times with my friends and special times with nature. 

It really is impossible to select just one for each month! I have tried!

January

A perfect summer's day at Deception Bay.


February
The ascent of Mt Coolum, gave glorious, distant views of our amazing coastline.


Later in the month there was the ascent of Mt Mitchell and its 180 degree rural views.

March

What a month! The grand old age of 70 was reluctantly attained. However, thanks to wonderful friends, I actually really enjoyed celebrating this milestone.

Surprise high tea!

An amazing surprise, dawn breakfast on the bank of the Brisbane River.

The unbelieveable euphoria of hiking in the Snowy Mountains, and completing the sumitting of Australia's top ten peaks, on my actual birthday!


April

One of the highlights of this month was the discovery of a new trail - Cronan Creek and waterfall, in the Scenic Rim.


May

A very pleasant day spent in awe of these gentle giants.

June

This month kicked off with a successful, exhilerating ascent of a local peak, Mt Flinders.


Another highlight was spending the day with my husband, enjoying a steam train ride.

And finally, pampered dining beside the Brisbane River at Southbank Parklands.


July

Another busy month!
The creativity of the annual Warick Jumpers and Jazz Festival, the Ipswich Night Light Show, and the excitement of a friend winning a car, to start with!

Next, a wintery walk along the Brisbane Valley Rail trail and the elation of Brisbane winning the honour to host the 2032 Olympic Games.


What a month! 
The finale was ascending Mt Maroon, which had long been on my bucket list but because of all the rock scrambling, I didn't think I would make it.

August

A week long Covid Lockdown saw the golf course closed to golfers. This allowed me to wander freely on a beautiful, wintery morn.

September

This month saw my friends and I covering 5500 kms of western Queensland. Every day was sensational. We travelled vast distances through an alien, brown landscape. Thankfully much of this landsape has now received rain. I have complete admiration and respect for all those who live west of the Great Dividing Range. It's a way of life that they have to love,  but it is certainly a tough life in so many ways.

I selected this image as it has the essence of the outback, our love of a picnic and being one with nature, whenever posssible.

Spring arrives.

Return visit to Toowoomba's Carnival of Flowers.

The brilliance of the annual Riverfire fireworks, to conclude the Brisfestival.

October

The month of Kalbar's Haybale Festival, Boreen Point's Floating Festival and Mt Tamborine's Scarecrow Weekend.



And invitation to take a drive in the countryside to visit a very special garden was happily accepted.


November

Another busy, memorable month.
My cousin who is very sight impaired, asked me to join her on a Storey Bridge Climb on the date of her 70th birthday. A few days later I organised a high tea for her friends to celebrate her birthday with her.

Mid November three of the Gaitor Girls completed the 21 km, Ship's Stern Trail at Binna Burra. Truely spectacular, ever changing scenery, on a relatively  easy trail.

The following week we discovered yet another lovely trail at Lower Beechmont.

December

The joy of December has been related in my previous post, so I will share the miracle of nature I noticed on one of my mornng walks - a snail so tiny that I don't know how I managed to spot it.


Day 1 of 2022 has dawned. A lazy, cool day with regular showers briefly visiting. When I read of the bushfires here, in Colorado and the drought in Kansas and other parts of the world, I would happly share if it were possible. 

Stanlietta and Stanley join me in wishing you a happy New Year. In the words of Albet Einstein, "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." 


I would love to read your comment.

8 comments:

  1. I like how you lived life to the fullest possible considering what we were handed in 2021! I have enjoyed following your journeys throughout the year and look forward to see where life takes you in 2022! Happy New Year Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beautiful landscape highlights your enjoyment of nature and life in general. You are living the dream, Helen! My 2022 wish for you is that your dream includes a visit with your family in PEI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2022, Helen. You've had a very full year regardless of Covid - I hope the same for you in this New Year. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this wonderful recap. What a year you had! Happy 2002, and let's hope for a better year than the previous two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops, I meant Happy 2022!! (Maybe I subconsciously wish it were still 2002.....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like a good group-- a fine choice to sum up the lovely times. I wish 80 percent of people in the US were totally vaccinated. I hope it's a better year. I'd be in favor of any previous year before 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A post that sums up making the best of difficult times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankfully our difficult times were so much easier than elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete