Wednesday 28 August 2019

Our Unique Aussie Bush

27 August

In August 2015, my friend Jocelyn and I hiked the Somerset Trail at Mt Mee. We were overwhelmed by the beauty of the bloom of the Wallum Gold Pea Bush. Every August a return visit was put on the agenda to share this glorious colour with the the others in our hiking group. At this point, it seems the Hungry Hikers will miss out again this year but I was thrilled to return with the Gaiter Girls on Tuesday.

Rain was forecast and we were wishing it for the farmers. A walk in the rain would be fun too. This area north of Brisbane was dry but thankfully drought has not yet taken hold.

Nearing our destination, looking over the Glasshouse Mountains to the coast.

The trail initially passes through beautiful rainforest of towering trees, palms and ferns and continues through open scrub to a man made pine forest before opening out into open bushland and magnificent gums. At about 2 km from the carpark, it returns to rainforest.

As I am time poor at the moment, I will let the photos tell the story in the order in which they were taken, over this wondrously beautiful, 15 km hike. Mary and Rachel set a fast pace. I would stop and take a photo and they would disappear. I would jog to catch up. In the end I just took my time and marvelled at the beauty of the grey gums reaching for the sky, enjoyed the song of the birds flitting through the bushes and loving the sea of gold with a sense of peace and tranquility.

Leaving the rainforest.
.





Entering 'Aussie bush'.














The mauve ground orchid wass en-masse in this area but the camera didn't capture just how many there were.

Hard to believe that this seed grows from this tiny white flower.



A rest was taken at the viewpoint over the Brisbane Valey to Somerset Dam. The wattle was glorious.




Rachel has major back issues and took time to stretch. She convinced Mary and I that the view improved looking at it from this angle. Much laughter ensued!





My favorite waterhole didn't disappoint with its wonderful reflection.

Yes, the view was definitely better from this angle. Well, that was what we said to convince a lone, tad gorgeous, male hiker, who happened upon us at this point. Poor lad, we even convinced him to try the pose.













Scars of a past age of tree felling rather than preserving.


A date has been set for a return visit in 2020.

I would love to read your comment.

22 comments:

  1. You girls are silly... But I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Both walking groups are as mad as one another!

      Delete
  2. What fun shots! And fabulous views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite hikes. A shame we have to drive across the city to get to it.

      Delete
  3. You find the most beautiful places to hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto where you hike. I'm always thinking 'I wish ......".

      Delete
  4. What a lot of beautiful flora and fauna! I can't believe you convinced the male hiker to try it, too! I have been finding lots of pretty wildflowers in our pastures as we've been chasing cattle. I've enjoyed the flowers. I am getting tired of these five pair who keep escape the confines of the pasture. I'll feature those photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor guy! We tried to imagine his conversation with his mates. We'd love to think he told them how he had met these fabulous women making the most of the day!

      Delete
  5. What a glorious hike! So many new (to me anyway) flowers and trees. I love how you and your friends take in the views! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try it on your next hike and report back.

      Delete
  6. I am not sure whether you are familiar with the concept of forest bathing, Helen, but I think this is a perfect place to immerse yourself in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've googled 'forest bathing'. I don't think one has to sit still to immerse oneself in the beauty, peace and tranquilty of the forest. My senses are always on full alert when out and about. On this hike I fully realised that I had to let the others go on.

      The motto for my Wednesday group is " It is not the distance. It is the journey.

      Delete
    2. You are quite correct, Helen, one absorbs all the sights, sounds and odours of the forest. And I know what you mean about letting others go on. I will be seventy-seven on my next birthday and more than 10 km is getting to be a challenge for me!

      Delete
  7. This looks similar to the dry forest at the top of the cliffs in the mountains here. Similar understory plants and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Hello Maria. Thank you. I have to add that I have an Australian aquaintance called Maria Rodrigues. Looking at your image, I really thought it was her.
      Best wishes.

      Delete
  10. The forest is so colourful and lush. The one photo with some reds in it remind me of what we are beginning to see here now as summer is cooling off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the autumn colours are alive when I return to PEI on the 26 th for Ben's second birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL at the view. I'll have to try that next time I'm out and about (and try not to fall over!).

    ReplyDelete