Wednesday 3 April 2024

A Very Rewarding but Damp Week

25 - 31 March

With cooler, less humid weather, I set off on Monday around 6.30 am, just extending my local circuit. Surprisingly, these are the only photos taken during my 14 km walk.


Magpie

Suburbia, but green and very pleasant, accompanied regularly with birdsong.

Tuesday dawned wet, and the rain didn't ease all day. 48 ml in 24 hours. Fortunately I set off before the heavy stuff fell, AND I love walking in the rain. Only 10 km in a shorter version of yesterday.


The creek was flowing just a tad more strongly than the previous day.





Wednesday - Showers all day, but the umbrella wasn't required all of the time on this walk. The path was completely flooded. I avoided it on my outward journey, but by the time I was back here, my shoes were so wet, I happily sloshed through!

The creek was in full spate.




Wednesday afternoon the Hungry Hikers had planned a bay walk, with an al fresco easter picnic. We managed to walk 5 k's along a flooded Norman Creek [in the city] before retiring to Joc's balcony.







 
We are constantly being reminded - 'If it is flooded, forget it!'

Did this lad come to his senses, or was it too much with 7 'old' women watching with their phones? 


We didn't miss the bay views at all!

Thursday saw me catching the train to Southbank station and walking upriver for 7 km. I then took the Citycat across to our beautiful University and then walked down river on the opposite shore. The weather was just perfect at 25 C to 28 C.

Southbank view across to the city.
UQ



Adding this bib to my shirt, resulted in a family stopping me and making a wonderful donation.

Back in the city.



On Good Friday I just did a 7 km walk locally, as I was nearing my 400 k target with 2 days to spare. 
On Saturday I took my cousin to the City Botanical Gardens for 'Music in the Gardens'. Sadly it was a non event, but the gardens were full of colour. A walk before I left and in the city took my total to 399 km for the month!

Easter Sunday - final day of the March Charge.
My dear friend Jan had wanted to support me all month. For various reasons we only managed this day to be together.

7.30 am view of Moreton Bay at Victoria Point. Intermittent, light showers passed over all day.





Coffee break before catching the ferry to Coochiemudlo Island. 

Heavy rain began to fall and we were thinking of cancelling the island visit, as I had well and truely reached my walking target.

Suddenly the sky began to clear, although we still felt one or two raindrops. The sun began working its magic, once we were on the island.







Back at the car park, the Easter Bunny had updated his mode of transport.

And so, my month of Charging for Cancer, was done!

I posted this Sunday evening.

I woke to an email informing me that I had received a donation late Sunday evening.


Unknown to me, there was a site showing how much everyone had raised and walked. It was abundantly clear throughout the month that this wasn't a competition, and no matter how small a distance walked or money raised, everyone was contributing to telling cancer where to go. There were many sad but brave stories to read.




I would love to read your comment.

10 comments:

  1. Well done Helen! You raised so much money for the cause!

    You describe walking when it was 28 C. I couldn’t walk in that heat. Your walks in the rain and water sound refreshing. Always such beauty there. Great photos, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. So many wonderful friends donated.
      If we could have a summer of 28 C and not higher, I would be a very happy walker!.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Helen. And thanks for such a happy and loving post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your "March Charge" and making a "Diamond" of a difference in fighting cancer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra. I sincerely hope it made a difference to many families.

      Delete
  4. Wow, are those bromeliads up in the tree? They're beautiful! Glad you keep hiking even in the rain. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Peter they are bromeliads. The purple flowers are cattelya orchids. I had another fabulous morning walk in the rain this morning. Very pleasant as it is still very warm.

      Delete
  5. Well done on your fund raising. You really are having wet weather at the moment! B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Barbara. Where we live the rain has mostly missed us. The greater Sydney areas have had dreadful flooding.

    ReplyDelete