Sunday 24 March 2024

The week that was!

Sunday 17 March to Sunday 24 March

Returning from Yamba on Sunday, we visited Frank's sister at Tweed Heads. It was St Patrick's Day and Mags provided a delicious Irish lunch of potato, bacon and cabbage, cooked to perfection. Very small guiness's as Frank was the driver.



My March Charge continued. In the first 2 weeks I had walked 244 km and received a wonderful $2682. The Cancer Group promoted a 10 k a day challenge, which I accepted and pushed.
Monday - 11k
Tuesday - 15k
Wednesday - 12k
Thursday - 9k
Friday - 14.5 k.  I pushed this distance as I didn't want to go home a couple of k's short of my 300k target for the month! 300 k done, but the donations had dried up. I felt quite down in that regard. Then Friday evening and since, I have been overwhelmed.

After a summer of rain, everywhere we explore, has a wondrous beauty.

Tuesday saw the Gaiter Girls walking at 6 am, beside the Albert River. Light rain had fallen overnight  and the raindrops caught on plants and spider's webs, were glistening like diamonds. 15 km walked.

Further on, the wetlands were alive with birdlife and reflections.


Wednesday morning the Hungry Hikers travelled across Brisbane to Lake Samsonvale for a 10 km hike along its shoreline. After the stress of early morning commuter traffic, we quickly found ourselves relaxing in the peace and tranquilty of this parkland.


The Blue Gang arive!




Wattle - first of the year.








A happy spot in my garden.

I'm keeping up my daily charging and am hopeful, that perhaps in the next 8 days I will reach 400. There is no need, except for personal satisfaction.

I am thrilled to write, that as of this afternoon, my donations have reached $3173! So wonderful to be able to help KICK CANCER'S BUTTE in this way!

A very tired body is now off to bed, resting up for another 10 k plus. Hopefully this afternoon's rain will have pushed further on.

I would love to read your comment.

18 comments:

  1. Helen, you are doing so much good, for the society and yourself. And for us blog readers, it's very inspiring to read these posts. 👍🏻
    The flowers look lovely and the landscapes so green and relaxing.
    I'm writing this using my phone and it's very difficult. I don't really see what I'm writing. 😄
    So, I wish you a good week ahead and thank you for your lovely comments. Big hugs! 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs and thanks beack to you Sara. I hope spring is finally awakening your plants.

      Delete
  2. You are doing so awesome in your challenge! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Helen. Well done! You are a determined young woman!

    Beautiful photos, as always! The sky is always so spectacular in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it has been a joy to walk every day with a purpose and not have to worry about things not being done at home. I hope the weather at the weekend isn't as bad as forecast. Spring has to arrive soon.

      Delete
  4. YOU GO GIRL! Helen, I admire the strength you are carrying on your shoulders for those that can't right now! With your determination to kick cancer in the bu __ , may those in need feel your strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a marvellous experience, Alexandra with amazing support from all March Chargers, via Facebook.

      Delete
  5. Kim Fritzemeier28 March 2024 at 09:07

    You are amazing! I loved the photo of the spider web, and the vivid blues and greens of your scenic photos looked so different from our landscape that's just awakening to spring colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, as the weather cooled during March and the rain fell consistently, our countryside has looked stunning. So mauch to enjoy and apprciate as I have 'Charged".

      Delete
  6. Wow, congrats on your March Charge. That's a wonderful achievement! Everything in your photos looks green, healthy, and so alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter.. Our photos are in total contrast. Your desert landscape images have a stark, dramatic beauty which I have come to love, through your camera lens.

      Delete
  7. Impressive walking distances and stunning scenery too. March has been good in your corner. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The first 2 weeks were hot and humid, but since then, the disappearance of the high humidity, made for very enjoyable walking. A huge thunder storm however, is about to descend on us as the temperature today was back to 32C.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, you are doing a great job. The scenery is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A summer of regular rain has made everything green and lush. The coastal scenes were magnificent

      Delete
  9. I hear you guys have been getting a lot of rain lately. I am hoping some is falling on our Kandos garden this afternoon, it's still quite dry down here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nasty looking storm is about to hit us! The forecast is for a very wet end to the week, from a weather system coming from the south. I hope you benefit before it reaches us.

    ReplyDelete