Tuesday 5 March 2024

Walking with a Goal

 My Facebook post of February 18, read:-

"Late December, my younger brother Jim, was diagnosed with B-cell Lymphoma. On the 15 January, the day Jim had his first chemo, I read about the Cancer Council's 'March Charge', ie walking every day throughout March. In the past few years too many of my friends and family have had to take the cancer journey. My eldest brother David, and dear friend Leslie, both passed away in October last year. I immediately signed up to walk 300 km and raise $500, but I would dearly love this amount to reach $1000 or beyond. I will be very appreciative of any support you can give me towards this goal."


It turned out that I was among the first to register and I received a March Charge shirt, almost immediately.

My post, two day's later, (Feb20).

"I'm feeling incredibly grateful to have almost reached $1000 in donations towards my 'March Charge' for cancer. I am now optimistic that I may be able to reach $2000.
Please donate any amount, big or small, to help tell cancer where to go!"

February 25

March 1
Unfortunately the temperatures for the past two weeks have been in the low 30's, with intense humidity! Leaving around 5 to 5.30 am the temperature is around 23 C. I walk for about half an hour before the sweat starts dripping.

This is what I posted at 5.21 am, just prior to my walking out the door.

My route was part industrial estate, part suburbia and the latter leg, my usual morning track. It was amazing to have birdsong accompany me. I was delighted by the numbers of Super Fairy Wrens all along the way. I wish they were resident in my garden. Just over halfway I stopped at my friend Janice's, where we shared coffee and a lovely chat. On arrival, her regular visiting Kingfisher was sitting on her pool fence. Just so special to see. He didn't want to be photographed though!


Day 2 saw another early start, but a much shorter route using my local paths.

The Kookaburra laughing.

And taking breakfast a day later!


Day 3 - local.
A cool start, but light rain overnight soon had the humidity rising. I didn't walk as far, as I had a big day planned for the following day, Monday.



Day 4 - along the Brisbane River.
5am saw me in the early morning commuter traffic, destination Apollo Road Ferry Terminal. Although the traffic was heavy, there were no delays and I was soon witnessing the early morning light on the river, as I awaited the ferry's arrival.



The ferry took me across the river to Brett's Wharf, where my 'day 4 Charge' commenced. The recently modernised river trail was abuzz with locals taking their morning excercise. My eyes were drawn to the light on the river and the foggy mass hanging over the city skyline.
Oddly, noone to be seen in this image as I take my first steps along the path.




My original plan was to walk as far as I felt comfortable along the northern shore of the river. As I set off, I made the decision to criss-cross the river, using as many of the bridges as possible.
Many of you will be very familiar with the beauty of our river from previous posts and especially from a recent post.

Yowoggera Bridge over Breakfast Creek

First 3 k's done, and a pleasant shady spot to eat a delicious french pastry.

7 km view.

Approaching and entering the nearly 900 m Brisbane Riverwalk, [boardwalk] with its wonderful views of the city skyline.

Brisbane's Story Bridge - (1940) A lift swiftly lifts one from river level to bridge level.


Kangaroo Point Green Bridge - its construction is progressing well for its opening later this year.

This Google map image may help you follow the remainder of my walk.

On crossing the bridge, I circled back to the Medly Cafe for a coffee and scone. 11 km completed. The Riverwalk can be seen opposite.

Refreshed and phone recharged, I walked under the Story Bridge towards the Kangaroo Point Cliffs.

A closer view of the Green Bridge.

The view up river to the pedestrian-free, Captain Cook Bridge (1972) and freeway into the city.

The view up river from under the Captain Cook Bridge. Four bridges are in the distance.

The clock tower of Sommerville House, a very prestigious private girl's school.  The white cloud mass caught my eye, nature's tower.

Crossing the Goodwill Bridge (2001) which connects Southbank to the City Botanical Gardens and city precincts. [pedestrians and cyclists only.]

The view up river from the Goodwill Bridge. 
In the foreground is the Neville Bonner footbridge, also due for completion this year.

Having crossed the bridge, I was able to continue up river along the waterfront. I passed under the Goodwill Bridge and on reaching the Victoria Bridge, (1874) I climbed steps that took me to road level and access to the city centre.  Here I found an air conditioned foodcourt for light refreshments, before continuing across the Victoria Bridge seen below. It has only recently been designated a bus and pedestrian bridge. All part of readying Brisbane for the 2032 Olympics.
 Concert Hall on the left and Museum on the right.

A view of the Kurilpa pedestrian bridge. I would access it by walking past the State Museum, Library and Art Galleries, seen on the LHS of this image. Behind the Kurilpa Bridge, one can just make out the arches of the Grey Street Bridge..

The Kurilpa Bridge. (2009)
Its name comes from an Indigenous name for "place of water rats". It links Kurilpa Point to the city. 

Grey Street Bridge (1932)
On the RHS you can see the arches of the cross river rail bridge. There is a road toll bridge open to pedestrians, just beyond the rail bridge, (1978) but the heat and humidity were finally getting to me. On crossing this bridge, I made my way to Southbank and the ferry terminal where I would conclude my walk.



The grey sleeves I am wearing are a new purchase. UV protection and very cool to wear. The brown scarf is a cooling scarf. Dampen it. Shake it and wrap around the neck. Bliss. The blue buff on my wrist, wipes the sweat from my face. I did have a wide brimmed walking hat on, for the duration of my walk.

A relaxed, breezy, ferry ride had me back at Apollo Road and my car, in 50 minutes.


1.05 pm view up river. Storms were building and we would receive 28 ml in a late storm and overnight.

It had been a long walk, but taking it in stages and resting sensibly in shade several times, I completed the distance feeling invigorated by my effort, and so very grateful for the good health allowing me to enjoy our wonderful city.

 I add my 'March Charge' donation page for any Aussie reading this post, who might like to sponser me. Even the smallest amount is greatly appreciated.

https://www.themarchcharge.com.au/fundraisers/helendobbin?fbclid=IwAR1TiWXTCcPSFnRyZoZiB4XrsipDK9RMlnRx0IF68TJYLlZA2d7-juUIv14

Yesterday I walked a further 12 km with a Gaiter Girl friend and today the Hungry Hikers helped me add another 10.

Total kilometres  - 84
                             - 214 to complete by March 31

Donations to date $2310

I would love to read your comment.

16 comments:

  1. You are a true warrior! My hat's off to you. (Especially since I can't seem to make it to the mailbox and back without issues these days!) You have a heart as big as all outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. The humidity is tiring me. There won't be big miles this week. The main thing is for funds to Kick Cancer's Butt!

      Delete
  2. Helen, Congratulations on your daily walks so far - you sure are meeting the challenge! Looks hot and humid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb. The temperature hs dropped below 30 C but the humidity still kicks in quickly. The support given to me is just amazing.

      Delete
  3. Great job! I think this is such a noble cause and you are really knocking the ball out of the park, despite the hot, sticky weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda cancer research here in Australia has made some major break throughs in the past 5 years. The more funds raised the greater benefit for all.

      Delete
  4. Helen you are so inspirational! You have taken on a huge challenge and are attacking it like a warrior! You are showing strength for those you are Marching for! Each step you are taking, through all the heat and humidity, holds so much meaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alexandra. My effort is small in comparison to those suffering and I am enjoying nature every day. There is a Charger's group and again I feel my effort is so easy in comparison to so many of the participants.

      Delete
  5. Kim Fritzemeier11 March 2024 at 08:07

    What a worthy cause! Wishing your brother the best and you safe and enjoyable walks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely enjoying the walking, Kim but there is little time for the day to day routines. My brother is having a good week before next week's chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the USA, but I've been a fan of your webpage for years now, so I was glad to help out with a donation. Luckily PayPal does automatic currency conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis, I saw that you had made a donation but didn't know to whom I should send my very grateful thanks to. I thought the donor may have been a friend of a friend. I am thrilled that you enjoy my blog and cannot thank you enough for your donation. 💞💞💞

      Delete
    2. It seems that your blog is private, Dennis. Is that correct?

      Delete
    3. I don't have a blog, but I do have an old-fashioned personal web page, at http://www.cookhimes.us/dennis.htm.

      Delete
  8. A great cause, and one near and dear to me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It most certainly is, Peter. It is a tough road for anyone to follow. Sorry to learn that someone you know has had to take the journey.

    ReplyDelete