Tuesday 7 November 2023

Finishing the Cow

 Sunday 5 November to Friday 10 - Broadwater Caravan Park, Southport.

It was well overdue for the van to have an outing. My husband wasn't able to join me, as he has to stay out of the sun because of skin cancer treatment. He was happy, however, to help me set up at the Broadwater Caravan Park at the Gold Coast and catch the train home. The forecast was for a thunderstorm in the afternoon. Arrival time at the park was 11 am. We were all set to go at 9, so relaxed with a cuppa for half an hour. 

In that time, however, a  storm arrived, dumping a wonderful 14 mm. We watched the radar until the front was headed well east. It became slow moving and most of our journey was in heavy rain. We arrived at 11, but no way were we going to enter the park. We found a spot to pull in and waited for the rain to ease.



It eased but never stopped. We weren't complaining. This rain was so very welcome and has doused bushfires over a wide region.

6pm - perfect weather for finishing the cow!


Along the waterfront of the caravan park - south.

North

Monday 6am - a brighter start to the week.



The park residents that I could hear quacking during the night.

Tuesday 5am





The first of so many of our beautiful black swans.










Later in the day.


The story of the cow. 
My friend Joc loves cows. Her birthday was the 8 October. On the 5th I happened upon a crochet cow and decided that would be the perfect gift and I could make it in a short time frame. Ha, ha! I feel as if I have undone every row, 10 times. The Hungry Hikers are visiting here to walk on Wednesday / tomorrow.  I want her finished. Most of my time here has been spent in that endeavour, with no distractions other than my morning and afternoon walks.

It is now Wednesday morning. I am pleased to report she was completed at 9 pm last night. Right up until her ears were attached, I thought she was going to look a disaster. Now my 'cow of a cow' is a happy cow!

I was regularly sending images of how far I was getting, before having to pull out, to my friend Pam, so you can see some of the issues.

I just couldn't get the nose to have the correct number of stitches. My friend Penny came to the rescue twice. First with a test run, after I sent the pattern to her. The pattern had a mistake in the 3rd row.

Yours truely still couldn't get it to sit correctly, so Penny offered to do it for me. Top R.
Penny got it back to me a couple of days before my coming down here, but I had had no time to do further work with it.  I had to laugh, as the drama of this cow, continued. Penny is left handed, so all her effort was for nought! Back to the drawing board, so to speak for me.  A good hour passed before success, but it really was a total fluke. Bottom image.

Now, I don't want to give her away.


I would love to read your comment.

22 comments:

  1. Some superb pictures, and a very cute cow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. There was so much to photograph.

      Delete
  2. Great title for the post, Helen! It drew me in for sure.

    I hope Frank can return to the outdoors again soon. I am glad he is getting such good medical care. Here it’s terrible!

    The cow is a beauty, so cute and it looks so beautifully done. You are a perfectionist for sure! Joc is lucky to have such a devoted friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. The cow was frustrating to make but well worth it in the end. Final stiches out and Frank getting back to a normal routine, Marie.

      Delete
  3. Oh your cow is so cute! I'd want to keep it too. But I guess you can always make another one for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, I could, but I very much doubt that I will, Linda. Soooo time consuming with my lack of expertise.

      Delete
  4. That cow is adorable! In the last photo, I see the cow is smiling!

    I googled to see exactly where the Caravan Park was. When you are in need of rain, it can sound like a gift from above while it falls. Your camping spot set up looks ideal to wait it out! Then to be presented with those gorgeous mornings, the black swans and blue sky, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gold Coast wasn't my first choice for this camping trip, however, this van park turned out to be perfect. I was at the Gold Coast but not 'in' the Gold Coast. A totally beautiful week.

      Delete

  5. That caravan park looks like a perfect spot, I'm jealous. The cow is beautiful, I would not want to give it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Broadwater was most definitely perfect, Joan.

      Delete
  6. We could sure use some of that rain! What beautiful scenes after the storm had passed! I always think that a cloudy sky produces a much more dramatic sunset. Well done on the cow. You could always make another one. And after your grandchildren see it, you may have to increase your production even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't share this lot, Kim. We are begging the clouds to form again. The cow production line has ceased, Kim, but is much loved by Joc.

      Delete
  7. The cow is cute! It's made precisely and with love. You should think about some additional crochet projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margi, I'm always doing a little of this and that but never with any competency. I keep running out of time in all I do. My next post will show you this years gifts.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, Helen, the cow is so incredibly cute! It really looks perfectly made... and smiling.
    The Caravan park is situated in a lovely place. The beach, those sunrises, and the black swans! I love our white ones but I must say the black ones do look special. And your photos are great.
    Happy summer days! I hope you will continue to have rain, not too much, not too little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very special week by the water, Sara and topped by the successful completion of my 'smiling' cow. The temperature was mild, unlike the humid 30C plus, we are experiencing this week.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. Seems like she has won everyone's heart.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful cow. The start of your holiday sounds like a typical English summer! Love the swan photos. B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Typical English summer but the temperature was not freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After a drenching start, a serene and lovely end to your camping. I know the rain was welcomed. Those black swans are so wonderful. We saw them in NZ on the S Island floating on a glittering turquoise sea - it's one of the highlights of our long-ago trip. Thank goodness that recalcitrant cow is completed! It's adorable. I think you should name it Calamity Cow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The rain was welcome and this week we have had another 53 mm. Just wonderful. It was amazing to see so many Black Swans in one area and added to the enjoyment of this perfect week beside the Broadwater.

    ReplyDelete