Wednesday 15 November 2023

Splashes of Colour

 November 14 and 15

I was the only Gaiter Girl able to walk this week.The heat has returned, so I set off early on my favourite local walk. We have had some rain over the past week, but the ground is still looking parched, so it was lovely to find splashes of colour.

A magnificent dancing lady orchid.


The pink of a newly flowering frangipani.

The bright yellow of this daisy, against the pinky, white gaura.

The stunning purple Christmas bauble shaped, bouganvillia.

The delicate purple of the lingering blossom of the jacaranda.

A lone agapanthus lily.

Yesterday the Hungry Hikers took a city meander of 10 kilometres. There was more than a splash of colour in the Roma Street Gardens.








And my favourite, this triumphant red! At first I thought it was a stunning poinsettia, but soon realised it was vine on a spiral support. Alas, it remains unnamed.


Thank you for all your lovely comments on my previous post for my crochet cow. It was suggested I make more or take on other projects. Alas, I always seem to be time poor. I need to retire from retirement, to have time to take on more projects without the stress of constantly making mistakes.

Below are the fruits of my laboured efforts this year.

For Nora

Three bears for three nieces.


Holding your hand from afar, for friends with cancer.



A dear friend was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just prior to our going to PEI.

Sara, I think this turtle and babies, might be what your friend has made. I've made it for a friend's new Grandchild.




And finally my cute cow of a cow!

And being creative in the garden. I must comment however, that I love to make, but I am not creative. The ideas all come from various sources.










I would love to read your comment.

16 comments:

  1. Just what I needed on a grey old day. Such beautiful colour in your corner and I love all your makes :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I brightened your day, Barbara. I love your rug entry of October 22. Our day is grey but very welcme as it has brought much needed rain.

      Delete
  2. Lots and lots of color! And lots and lots of delightful creations. Well done, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. They are the reason I am often late enjoying your wonderful photography.

      Delete
  3. Your crafts are just as cheerful and colourful, if not more, than the flower photos! I wonder while others in your neighbourhood are out and about walking, do they stop to admire and take photos of your crafts or are these hidden from the public and only for your viewing pleasure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexandra. They bring me much joy at the back of our home, where I regularly sit, looking over the golf course.

      Delete
  4. Such gorgeous colour in the last few weeks of spring. I pray your summer isn’t too hot this year, Helen.

    I love the critters you made. Those for cancer patients are so touching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour is gorgeous, Marie but unlike in cooler countries ,it is not wide spread ,so brings extra joy when spotted.I am now trying to make crochet angels for my friends for Christmas.

      Delete
  5. I love all your crocheted creations! You have some gorgeous, colorful flowers blooming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. My potplants have been colourful, but the heat of last week paid its toll. I'm hoping the wonderful rainfall of this week will revive them.

      Delete
  6. Helen, the title of this post doesn't do justice to the wonderful photos you have shared with us. :)
    The flowers are gorgeous. (You have seen in my photos that our landscapes look really grey now.) I hope you will get some rain as regularly as possible.
    You are a crochet champion. The memory game is super cute.
    Happy crafting! Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 'crochet champion' may be pushing it, Sara, but I will keep trying.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow you are doing brilliantly with your crafts. I don't get to anything like that. As for the flowers, they are so SE Queensland, very lovely, no need for roses in your patch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blooms have brightened my day - it's cold with snow flurries here. After the cow photo (Calamity Cow) is the table art made from rocks? Your painted rocks are so colorful and cute. Sometimes, I've come upon some rock art left as a random gift along the roadside or sidewalk. When Bob was having cancer treatment in CA 5 years ago, I took a painted heart rock I found to our rental and felt comforted when I held it. I returned it with a note to the same spot just before we left to come home. I hope the artist got my note and knows how comforting that heart was for me. Thinking of you, Helen - from my heart to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barb, your snow images made me happy, but I guess I am not facing a long winter.The creatures in the photo below Calamity Cow are made from Air Dry clay. My friends gave it to me 2 years ago for my 70th. It took me this long to have the corage to create. Lots of googling helped in the end.

    ReplyDelete