Tuesday 21 November 2023

A Country Show

Kyogle Show

Saturday 8th October saw me taking the beautiful drive, back across the border, to spend the day at Kyogle Show. Our family had lived on a dairy farm at Afterlee, 25 km outside Kyogle, until I was 9 years old. We moved to Queensland February 1960.  Attending the Kyogle Show was a very special event of the year. New shoes, dress and hat, that would then only be worn on Sundays to church.



Visiting Afterlee late September, I discovered that the annual show was the following weekend. My cousin showed me their impressive program guide and extensive schedule. I immediately determined that I would return the following weekend. The journey down was again beautiful. It was an early start, which allowed me to see a hot air balloon landing. Further on, rain clouds gathered on the border ranges.



 The day's program got underway at 8 am to a steady drizzle which continued on and off all day. Initially the crowd was very thin, but by mid afternoon there was a wonderful buzz of young and old enjoying themselves. Kyogle only has a population of 9500. It is surrounded by rich farming land, that was first used by timber getters in the early 1900's to extract red cedar and hoop pine. Beef cattle and dairy farming soon followed. 



The dairy cattle judging was on as I arrived, so I quickly headed through a damp Side Show Alley to that arena. There then followed a day of being in a state of country filled, seventh heaven. 


Further along the Beef Cattle were an impressive sight and judging was also taking place. 



The Under 13 Handlers competition was an eye opener for me.


The final decision being made.
.

The first and second prize winners are leading the line up.

At the arena next door, there was more judging. I'm not sure what category.





The Senior judging was initially in heavy drizzle.



It was a noisy but enjoyable visit to the Poultry Pavilion.


I had to dash to the wood chopping arena to watch one of my favourite events. The top images are of wood chopping. Later in the day, the Fence Post Ripping competition was held. Now that was an eye opener. The competitor must accurately slice down the length of the log to create 8 posts, which must then be freed using wedges, hammers and crowbars.


The A J Carlill Pavilion was filled with crafts and flowers. My cousin was surprised to win 3rd prize with his geraniums.



In the James T Pratt Pavilion, I was very impressed with the fruit and vegetable, cake, photography and children's art displays.



Kyogle is a name derived from Kaiou gal, [the place of the plain turkey] in the language of the Bundjalung people. 



There was so much variety in the displays and entertainment around the ground. Public speaking and poetry competitions and a damper making display.

Damper is a traditional bread, historically cooked by drovers and stockmen, over an open fire while on long cattle drives.


Here is the 'drive a nail' competition and take home a native tree to plant.

The Young Woman competition announced an ambassador for agriculture.

There wwas buck jumping experience for the younger ages.

Bluey and Bingo live.
Bluey is an inexhaustible six year-old, Aussie Blue Heeler dog, who loves to play, and turns everyday family life into extraordinary adventures, developing her imagination as well as her mental, physical and  and emotional resilience. This 2018, Australian TV series for preschoolers, is now much loved around the world.

And in Side Show alley.


There was so much to see that I didn't get to watch many of the horse events in the main arena. My cousin also borrowed me to help in the canteen cutting up tomatoes etc, for their burgers. They couldn't keep up the supply.

As the afternoon drew in, the arena was taken over by the entries for the Demolition Derby to be held after the fireworks at 7pm.


It had been a marvellous day for this country born girl. My only disappointment was the cancellation of the Grand Parade, due to the weather conitions. Next year.

I would love to read your comment.

18 comments:

  1. Not so very different from our country shows here in the UK, in fact the plan of the showground looks very similar to some of ours. You'd never see so many cattle here, but this is predominantly arable land here. And I've never seen a demolition derby at an agricultural show, though I did once see a motorcycle stunt team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the number of cattle being shown and some had travelled quite some distance. Demolition Derby's and similar events are a regular entertainment at our shows, along with rodeo events. The rodeo was the attraction on Friday evening.

      Delete
  2. Like a wonderful county fair here--- So much going on! I was also smiling over the culture mix of Hot Dagwood Dogs. Thanks for sharing this-- and, of course your picture from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dagwood Dogs are another show, must! Not for me though.

      Delete
  3. How much fun to relive some of your childhood memories at the country show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda it was very special and impressive. Marked on the calendar for next year.

      Delete
  4. That was a fun-filled day for sure. Lots to see too. Great photos as always, Helen. I especially love those first two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. I was so glad that I had visited my cousin when I did, and that I was able to return the following weekend.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy seeing the art and food displays. This show reminds me of competitions that take place here during the Calgary Stampede. Those Sunday hats and dresses, you just took me back to my childhood! Sweet memories and you look so sweet in those photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra, there was quite a contrast in what folk wore on this day, and of course, totally different from 60 years ago.

      Delete
  6. That was an amazing show for a small country town. You must have felt good to be back there for a short time. Congrats to your sister on the flower competition. I loved the old photos of you in your best dress. I see we also have John as a blogger friend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a country child, there was little opportunity to dress up. I can still recall the excitement of arriving and being given pocket money to spend.
      Diane, we seem to have several blogger friends in common. Blogging is a wonderful connection to people around the world.

      Delete
  7. Shows are great fun. I had a hat and dress just like yours but we didn't dress up like that for the show, just for Sunday school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum made most of my dresses. I always felt very special. And then there was the new pair of good shoes! Not sure that I actually wore any others. I was looking at my primary school photo the other day, and none had shoes on. [Two teacher, country school - Mooloolah]

      Delete
  8. I LOVED the old photos! We definitely don't dress up like that for our county or state fairs. I loved seeing a glimpse of the agricultural side of the fair. And I must tell you that Bluey is a hit in the U.S., too. The granddaughters may not admit to watching it anymore - but they do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noone dresses up like that anymore. Casual is the norm. I love that Bluey has travelled far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminds me of county fairs in the US. It looks like a good crowd attended even with rainy weather. You must have been tired by evening. I thought you were supposed to be taking it easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also in Finland we have country shows a little like that, but surely much smaller than yours. Your photos show a fun event. However, my favourite photos were the old ones from your childhood and then the ones of flowers, vegetables, cakes and magnificent quilts.

    ReplyDelete