Tuesday 31 October 2023

From Coast to Mountain

Tweed Heads to Mt Tamborine, Friday 27 to Sunday 29 October.

The opportunity to stay in my sister-in-law's lovely unit by the Tweed River, unexpectedly arose Wednesday evening. I am presently trying to crochet a cute cow for a friend's birthday. The birthday was the 8 October, so I grabbed the chance to be able to sit with no distractions. I am not a good crocheter.

A storm had passed through the previous evening dropping just 1 mm. We woke to ominous cloud cover, but up until I left, no rain had fallen. The closer to the coast I got, the heavier the rain. This made for a perfect afternoon to sit and progress with my project. If only there had been progress! I am hopeless, but this post isn't about the cow.

At about 5pm I took a break to buy dinner and drove to Point Danger to see what waves the wind was whipping up. 


Sunrise showed promise of a drier day.

I  had spent a couple of hours, from early morning, crocheting in the unit, but I could see the waves crashing on the breakwater and I could resist no longer. The wind was still fierce, however, and churning up the sea. It wasn't pleasant taking these images.



Up on the headland, I found a very sheltered picnic table, overlooking my favourite spot, Snapper Rocks. I couldn't see all of this view, but I was out of the wind and worked with the background sound of the waves crashing and retreating.

Actual view

Back at the unit for lunch, the river wasn't looking happy.

I continued working on my little cow until near sunset. Knowing that parking at Snapper Rocks would be a problem, I stopped in the next bay and walked around.


This is the view as I approached. Yes, I did get wet, but thankfully it was a sharp, brief shower and I got some protection behind a pandanus tree.



With the passing of the shower, a magnificent rainbow appeared.





Then the sunset colours appeared.

In the West.

In the East. 







Returning to the unit, I was stunned to find the clouds had sunk on the horizon and a full moon was shimmering across the river. The clouds, however, returned all too quickly.

It was an early start Sunday morning to rendevous with Joc and Marlene on Mt Tamborine, to follow the annual Scarecrow Trail. Both cars arrived simultaneously at 7.30 am, so we enjoyed a relaxed cuppa and pastry, while enjoying the vast view across the valley to the Great Dividing Range.


We were disappointed that so many of the entries didn't fit the brief of 'Scarecrow'. I chose not to take many of these.

Entered by an Aged Care Home. Not sure if the old woman is supposed to be leaning, or if the wind had been at work.





I love this one.

And now for the 'almost' scarecrows.



And these fit our scarecrow criteria.








This was a true-blue, dinki-di scarecrow entry!

Toasted sandwiches were bought and enjoyed at another lookout before we journeyed home. 

The extremely dry windy conditions of this spring, continue. Bushfires could be seen on the horizon.


Now back to that cow!

I would love to read your comment.

16 comments:

  1. I wish you rain, Helen! Wish we could have shared some of what we had these last six months.

    Wonderful images of the stormy sea. You captured the power so beautifully. I find it hard to keep the camera steady in a high wind. You did well!

    I love the scarecrows! People have a bit of fun doing them by the look of it.

    Hope the cow is finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to report - wonderful rain and a finished cow!

      Delete
  2. The rainbow is gorgeous! The images of a rainbow and stormy sea are wonderful and the Scarecrow Trail looks funny. I'm curious about the cow crocheting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh ooh, those waves and those clouds (almost scary) and those wonderful sunrises and -sets! The scarecrows look fun and inventive.
    I too am looking forward to seeing the crocheted cow.
    I wish I could crochet soft toys. A Finnish blogger friend had made a turtle mum with babies that is also a memory game. https://maatuska-puutarhuri.blogspot.com/2023/10/virkattu-kilpikonna-muistipeli.html
    Happy November! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I have just completed that very pattern for a friend's Grandchild. It made me think that crocheting a cow would be easy!

      Delete
  4. Delightful!!! You make me smile== and even chortle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your crashing waves photos! The ocean and everything that goes with it will always be a part of my being! The scarecrows make me think of the "pumpkin people" displays in Nova Scotia at Hallowe'en!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out the Pumpkin people! Fabulous.

      Delete
  6. Such gorgeous skies! There's something so beautiful about wind swept waves crashing on a rocky shoreline. Difficult conditions for photography, but the end result is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could and do, sit for hours on end watching tiredlessly.

      Delete
  7. Those stormy skies and seas! I can almost hear the crashing waves. What a gift that rainbow was! I liked touring the Scarecrow Trail with you and also (as usual) seeing what you had for treats! Hope the cow is finished by now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A total contrast to your mountain scenes, Barb.

      Delete
  8. Oo that beach looks blowy. I am trying to crotchet at the moment too. Love the scarecrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your progress is faster than mine, Joan.

      Delete