Friday 6 October 2023

Spiders, Birds and Flowers

Down on the Afterlee farm, late September.

Part of the enjoyment of this visit, was the early morning walks to watch misty sunrises, which were enhanced by the loud symphony of the many winged, early risers.
The rain of the previous day had left sparkling droplets on the spider webs clinging to fences, grasses and plants. 
My small point-and-shoot camera lens tried its best to record all that I was delighting in.

Spider Webs









A web within a wild raspberry bramble.


A raspberry feast was had.

I managed to snap and identify just a few of the birds that had been joining in the morning chorus.

I would love to be able to name these tiny birds, but alas, googling and thumbing through my Australian bird book, has just left me perplexed.  In fact, except for the Superb Fairy Wren, the names written could all be incorrect.

Figbirds





Brown Honeyeater






Possibly a Wompoo Fruit Dove. [?]

Black Faced Cuckoo-shrike

Friar Honeyeater.

Superb Fairy Wren

Dawn chorus compilation.

Final morning chorus.

The farmhouse is surrounded by an amazing treescape. Many of the Jacarandahs were planted by our grandmother in the early 1920's. There are Hoop Pines, Norfolk Pines, Camphor Laurels, and Rainforest trees. So many of the trees were planted for special occasions or remembrance of family, friends and pets. Huge Staghorns, Elkhorns and Bird Nest Ferns adorn the thick branches of the Jacarandahs. Beside the driveway, the empty field has been allowed to return to its natural forest state. Here the birds and wallabies relish the protection of the thick canopy. I have photographed this often, so on this visit, I recorded the eye-catching, potted colour, planted by my cousin.


Above and below - one of the farm's original cream separators and cream can.

A colourful invitation to sit and relax.


Another spot to enjoy colour and a cuppa.


The house entrance path.

A delightful spot to read.


Next three - beside the pergola.



In the background is a century-old plus, Moreton Bay Fig Tree. In the foreground is one of its seedlings determined to take root.

I was too early for the full beauty of the Jacarandahs - a lone blossom opening.

Nature will always find a way - Bird's Nest and other fern.

A farmer's pest, but in the early morning light, the Scotch Thistle has a dramatic beauty.


When I travelled down to Afterlee last week, I hadn't realised that the Kyogle Show was this weekend. Having seen the extensive program guide, I made the decision to return tomorrow.


Watch this space.

I would love to read your comment.

18 comments:

  1. Your birds are very different to ours as are the trees. So Beautiful. The flowers are similar and of course the spiders webs. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our temperatures are very different too.

      Delete
  2. I would place a pillow and a comforter in one of those places and never leave, being surrounded by the trees and flowers looks so inviting. The bird in the third photo after your berry picture is a Satin Bowerbird. I used the "Picture Bird" App on my iPhone to identify it. It is a free app and very easy to use. Another app is the "Merlin Bird ID" App, the basic is free, I use it to identify birds by the sounds they are making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to come home and didn't enjoy the roar of greeting from the M1. Yes, that bird is a Satin Bowerbird. My cousin convinved me otherwise.

      Delete
  3. I suppose there must be spiders' webs everywhere all the time but we only see them when the dew picks them out. I can't help you with the birds, none of them are to be seen here. What marvellous flowers - great to see a garden in full bloom just as ours are packing up for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers were stunning, but the heat of summer has hit and it will be impossible to keep the water up to them.

      Delete
  4. The early morning light and the spider webs…spectacular. The videos bring the photos to life. It must be so good for the spirit to be walking amid that chorus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it was just perfect in every way. The cool mornings meant I could sit and listen happily for an hour or two.

      Delete
  5. What a sweet and delightful post. The first bird reminded me of our Flicker-- but only in a vague way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting out in the bush is wonderful. One of the birds you didn't name is a female Satin Bowerbird and another a Wattlebird. They are familiar to me from our garden. I have lots of trouble naming any small birds except for the fairy wren which we also have a lot of at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. I was positive that it was a Bowerbird but my cousin convinced me otherwise.

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful place! I like the captures of spider webs in the morning sun,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spider webs covered in dew were special. If walking a new trail, they are sticky and annoying.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful spiderwebs in the fabulous early morning light. Your bird photos are lovely as well, especially the one with a bird with an open wing and one can see the light come through it.
    The flowers are of course the best and the iron bench and pretty chairs are really inviting. :)
    Have a happy new week ahead! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love the bird with the open wing and this morning I snapped a similar action but from a far tinier bird.

      Delete
  9. The spider webs (and the photos) are spectacular. Isn't it a wonder of nature? I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit this place so important to your family history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kim. It is always rejuvenating to return to the farm.

    ReplyDelete