Wednesday 11 September 2024

Seventy Minus One Month

 Sunday evening, saw the culmination of a year of planning on how to celebrate my dear friend Jocelyn's seventieth birthday, when I wasn't going to be in Oz, on the 8 October.

A seed of an idea was sewn in January, when I saw this instagram post.


Instagram then kept feeding me wonderful ideas. I kept saving them on my laptop desktop, in a folder named Joc ideas. By April I had a plan, as in the title above. This past Sunday evening, 8 September, the Hungry Hikers had the most wonderful evening of elegance, celebrating Joc's almost 70 years.

As my friends are very much in travel mode, I sent a date claimer in April.

And this one a week ago.

My wonderful friend, Lyndell has a beautiful garden and pergola. My cousin Sue, a large gazebo. Rebecca has folding tables and large white table cloths. Janice came on board as a photographer. I already had a few drapes from my cousin's seventieth. I am so very grateful for all their generous assistance. It was a perfect evening.

Arrival of the birthday cake with sparklers.

As of April, there were many, many projects creating lanterns, candle holders, serviette rings, floral ice balls for the wine bucket and growing violas and pansies to press for use in these creations. Number one on the list was a book of my years of friendship with Joc. 
In 1974, my second year of teaching, I had been transferred to the central Queensland town of Biloela. I loved this rural town, but my year of teaching was stressful to the extreme. The education department provided government accommodation, as the majority of the staff were city folk transferred in for their country service of 3 years. I had had a lovely flatemate, but as she was getting married, her room was vacant. My principal informed me that my new flatmate would be the Inspector's daughter! I was horrified, but here we are, 49 years later, the closest of friends.


By midday Sunday the garden and gazebo were looking wonderful and Lyndell and I wished we could just relax and enjoy the sunny day with its gentle breeze.

I had managed to keep my plans under wraps totally, even though my hiking friends had offered to help on numerous occasions. They arrived at our home at 6pm. Frank greeted them and when all had assembled handed them each an envelope containing a message card and eye shade.


Frank drove the two locals, Laurel and Jayne. Leanne was the driver for the Brisgang and had been prewarned she would have to drive further.

They all followed these instructions completely, although Joc did sneak this pic of Jenny.







Arrival



Sadly the flower ice balls melted quickly.


Canapes under the pergola.




Gift time.




Joc loves cows so there was a little cow theme to the evening. I rafrely have tme to paint but I created these coasters for her.

Dinner





The birthday cake







Coffee was enjoyed back under the Pergola. It turned out that I wasn't the only one going to be absent for the actual October birthday. Laurel, on behalf of the HUngry Hikers had created an amazingly creative book, featuring our hiking photos with humorous captions. I wish I had a page ort two to share. Equally funny was the box of bottles.




The beautiful Lyndell, who generously supported me to create this very memorable evening.

This finds me completing this post at Dubai airport with our flight to London about to board. Please excuse its rushed nature.

I would love to read your comment.

10 comments:

  1. So much to prepare, such wonderful results! What an amazing birthday party! Happy birthday to Jocelyn and happy landings to you! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Elegance" is the word! What a wonderful evening for your long-time friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely birthday party. Not to be forgotten for sure. Hope you are safely in London by now! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! What a beautiful celebration you planned! From the decor to the food, it was all awesome and what a beautiful gift you gave to your long-time friend. You should find more time to paint, if you're capable of such cute drawings. Have a BEST trip to Prince Edward Island! I can feel your excitement from here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a wonderful party! You and your friends are so creative. I loved the story about your friendship with Joc. Old friends are truly the best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly an amazing and memorable celebration for all of you! So much thought went into this! The details are all outstanding! Forever friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely party! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you really know how to throw a party! It looks like everyone had a splendid time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great fun you all had and lots of marvellous ideas. Well done. B x

    ReplyDelete