Tuesday 24 September 2024

Hyde Pond - a wonderful discovery.

 Unfortunately Frank hasn't been feeling well since our arrival. He is quite congested in his sinus's. As a result we haven't ventured far during the time we aren't with the family. I had learnt of 'Hyde Pond' through a womderful Facebook group called 'PEI Good news only'! This group showcases the beauty of the island regularly. 

Mid Friday afternoon I set out to find it. Strava recorded that it was only 2 km away and a pretty walk at that.


I have since returned 2 more times and they won't be the last. It is a magical place at present. I would think the pond would only be about 500m long, but at present it is the resting place of hundreds of Canada Geese. What a sight to experience.

The first two photos are at the narrow northern end of the pond.


View to the southern end, from about halfway.






The trail continued on past the pond.

The pond feeds into West River.







The sunset on this evening was an artwork of beauty.

The decision was made to return to the Hyde Pond for the following sunrise. I was not disappointed but surprised not to find any geese. The pond now belonged to the ducks although an occasional group of geese flew over.
6.15am, just setting off.

First view - 6.35am.








I walked backwards and forwards along the shoreline several times trying to make the most of every viewpoint.











On finding no geese, I assumed their southern migration had begun. Thanks to Blair on PEI Good news, I learnt that only, I learnt that this wasn't the case. They mostly flew out late afternoon and returned n the dark. He wasn't sure why they weren't there for sunrise. Sunday 4.45pm saw me back at the shoreline. This time I was greeted by as many geese but also a large numbers of ducks and seagulls. What a feast for the eyes. 



I wasn't there long before I heard a rumbling amongst the geese and a set of ten or more flapped their wings and took to the sky. This was repeated every 5 to ten minutes or so until it was just the ducks left quietly feeding. The geese used the pond like an aircraft runway. Their take off was from the south to the north and then they all veered away to the right and turned SW.



A tranquil pond.

As I left, I could hear an even louder calling of the geese, somwhere in the direction they had flown. Soon I saw this mass in flight.

I will be returning. Nature is most definitely food for the soul.

I would love to read your comment.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place I would absolutely love to visit. The sound of those geese has to be one of my favourite. It reminds me of that film fly away home! B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be seeing the flyovers soon. I saw a huge number of Canada Geese grazing on the grass in a grade school playing field yesterday. We seem many more geese than ducks here. Great post, Helen!

    ReplyDelete