Sunday 10 September 2023

Breakfast with my Feathered Friends

In Our Garden

It is always difficult to settle after visiting our family and I also miss the special beauty of Prince Edward Island. This year our Grevilleas have been stunning for weeks on end and the Lorikeets visit for an hour or so every morning. They are such happy, noisy, playful birds to watch. They soon lifted my spirits immensely. As I wasn't well, there was no busy agenda for my day, so I took time to enjoy their visits. I even took to wrapping myself up well on the cold winter mornings. [10C - slippers, jumpers and rug] to eat my breakfast under our pergola, and watch them in the pink Grevillea, just 2 metres away.

They continue to bring me so much joy and jobs are regularly put on the back burner.

23rd July - A beautiful day and a stunning Grevillea, being enjoyed by a Noisy Miner and myself.


29th July - We had had several days of cloudy weather. I had just set up for breakfast with the parrots when I was stunned by the sun rising above this cloud bank. The cloudbank then slowly rolled away to the east.

11 August




A Honey Eater joined the dining table.

The ducks found worms for themselves.

12 August


18th August - How many Lorikeets can you spy across our neighbours, and our own white Grevilleas? There are actually many more than the eye can see.





19th August



31st August - spot the parrot down under.




9 September

The gold of the Greveillea is stunning against the blue of the sky.

10th September - I had been out all day and on my return was greeted by this young, fluffy Butcher Bird practising his call. My husband commented that he had been singing for a good hour, non stop.



7th September - no birds, but an eloquent sunset.


11th September - this morning. A video of the playfulness of the parrots, taken from both my garden and that of our neighbours. Other lovely birds are joining in and drowning out the roar of the M1 traffic! [The droning sound in the background.]

The constant screeching of a flock of Lorikeets settling for the night is not a pleasant sound. Thankfully we just have these delightful morning visits. [Answer - I could count 7 lorikeets.]

I would love to read your comment.

16 comments:

  1. Your grevilleas are stunning. I was thinking those lorikeets would be a noisy bunch. I'm glad some of the other birds are getting a look in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These numbers are 'nice' noisy. There are numerous clusters that I pass downtown and the noise is constant, screeching and deafening.

      Delete
  2. How cool to have so many colorful and interesting birds visiting your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am constantly amazed by the variety of songs I hear all day. It can be very time wasting.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful post, Helen! Amazing colours and light... and the greyish Butcher Bird is ver cute as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. The birds are entertaining me as I write.

      Delete
  4. Such amazing beauty to have right on your doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very fortunate, John, but I do hanker for the quaint English scenes you share.

      Delete
  5. I've only encountered Lorikeets at the San Diego Zoo--- I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, Bill, you have Mt St Helens and all her seasonal beauty! It is wonderful that blog reading allows us to see so many other mazing places and things.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful images here, Helen. That was quite a shelf of cloud. I have never seen anything like that. Such colour! In the birds, the plants. And it is just now spring! Gorgeous! The sounds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, at this time of year, it is truly perfect!

      Delete
  7. Amazing! The birds and the plants! I have never seen anything like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margi, this is typical Aussie sounds, flora and fauna.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful, colorful birds! I really like the big diagonal cloud bank in the second photo. So unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Watching it retreat was spell binding.

    ReplyDelete