Monday 4 September 2023

A Golden Walk

Wednesday 30 August
 
A very welcome coffee after our early start and 2 hour drive to the Somerset Trail at Mt Mee.

It was my turn to provide morning tea. 
Each time we visit Prince Edward Island, my husband and I have to make a visit to Georgetown, to a lovely cafe for its delicious cinnamon buns.  On Instagram recently, I found a recipe for them, that I thought I'd give a try. I have rarely had success using yeast, but other than the mixture flying around the kitchen initially, I was thrilled with my efforts. 
The Hungry Hikers said, "Don't brag. Prove it!" They were suitably impressed.


Body fuelled, we set off on our 14 kilometre hike, which was initially through soaring gums and rainforest.

The gums soared and monster bracken fern covered the forest floor. 
"Jenny, where are you?"

Camera stop equals rest stop!

About 4km in,  we entered a golden trail of flowering natives from the Pultenaea group - Pea Flowers, enjoyed for most of the remaining trail.




Both Joc and Leanne were thrilled by this section of trail.

What they were looking at.

Further on!



A passing, friendly hiker, was happy to take this shot.

The view before I climbed down from the boulder.

We were all grateful that Leanne had packed a bag of Maltesers. In a few week's time, they will have melted, this far into the hike.


I've hiked this trail on numerous occasions. I manage to forget over time, just how many short steep inclines there are!

Another section of bracken fern before the Somerset Lookout.

Somerset Dam Lookout - a beautiful spot for a rest.


Nearby was a very sad purple Pea Bush. The storm later in the day, hopefully, would have refreshed it.

Pea Flowers and possibly pink Boronia's.


Back to the rainforest. A couple of k's to go.

Here the native bees were buzzing so loudly, I just had to record them. I hope you can hear their humming.

This giant fell to the axemen, many years ago.


The final hundred metres.

Delicious homemade sandwiches for lunch were enjoyed. We were ready for the journey home.

These native Australian plants have put on a fine show this year, making for a very uplifting hike.

I would love to read your comment.

23 comments:

  1. Yer all jest a buncha goofy kids! Super post! I heard the bees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good way to grow old, Bill. I love them to bits!

      Delete
  2. That's such a pretty forest! I would enjoy "forest bathing" in that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly is! Such a variety of flora and at its best in spring.

      Delete
  3. Another lovely hike, fueled by those tasty cinnamon buns. I just love all the fun group photos you get with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like great fun! You, ladies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margi. It is wonderful to be able to join these friends each week. We have known each other for over 40 years now.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place for a walk!
    And the homemade sandwiches are perfect for a moment of relax all together.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that final shot through the trees. It was taken by Jocelyn who has a real eye for composition.

      Delete
  6. Like your friends, I am impressed with your cinnamon roll efforts. They look delicious. I had to Google Maltesters. That overlook view was spectacular as were the glimpses of flowering plants. I always think winding trails through trees make for pretty photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim, but you poor thing, no Maltesers in your life. Chocolate coated, malt centre deliciousness!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful hike. I love the giant ferns. The ladies all appear to be having a fun time, which makes for an entertaining post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long drive across and through our thick city commuter traffic, but so well worth the effort.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I'm the quiet one! Ha, ha. they are wonderful friends.

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely post, Helen! The forests look simply magical.
    I know bracken ferns are not the friendliest of plants but they do look spectacular.
    Thank you for sharing fascinating photos and much joy!
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sara. It was a perfect day to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the group shots. Of course the treats are always mouthwatering. You have to hike to get rid of the calories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Barb. Sadly, I seemed to have reached the age where walking doesn't reduce the calorie effect. I console myself that extra weight is good for my osteoporosis.

    ReplyDelete