Thursday 23 August 2018

How beautiful is the North?

 Wednesday 15 August at 6am, saw me waving goodbye to Proserpine, Reg and Laurel, after boarding the 'Spirit of Queensland' train that would take me north to Cairns. A distance of 618 km, taking 7 hours by car but 10 hours by train. I was met by my brother and a further hour took us north to his home in Mossman. Much of this road had lovely coastal views so the time passed quickly.



Thursday morning I woke to ominous clouds over the ranges behind Jims's house and was feeling disappointed that the tropical skies of Proserpine hadn't followed me. Thankfully, only a temporary hitch. A little selfish of me, as everywhere from Brisbane to Cairns needs or desperately needs rain. 


Jim's wife Michelle is the Uniting Church minister in the Mossman area, with churches in Port Douglas and Mt Molloy. It was an exceptionally busy week for them but gave me a great insight into the work they do and the opportunity to meet the ever so friendly and welcoming people of the north.

A walk around Mossman took me through canefields and into town.

Mossman Hospital


The once, typical Queensland home, built for coolness in this hot humid climate.




After helping to set up the church hall for a fundraising dinner the following night, we left at 3pm to drive to the World Heritage listed Daintree Forests. Michelle had a service in the local school at 6.30pm so it was a great opportunity to show me this area, even if in a very short space of time. 

Of interest was Angie who attended the service. She and her husband run Daintree Rainforest walking tours and just recently David Attenborough visited them to film the cassowaries who habitat their area. Their website is worth viewing. Unfortunately, they were fully booked out during the time of my visit.


On the way ......

The Japanese dropped 8 bombs in this area towads the end of WW2.


Looking north to the Daintree.


A climbing, winding canopied road through thick rainforest.

View at the top of the range of the croc-infested Daintree river mouth.

5.15 pm saw us at Cow Bay Beach, 20 mins from our destination. Here we relaxed with a picnic tea and one eye on the water's edge for emerging crocodiles.

Having set up the hall the day before, Jim and I were given leave to do some exploring on Friday. We drove south to Port Douglas "a little slice of paradise between the rainforest and the reef," a drawcard for both families and celebrities.












St Mary's by the Sea is a heritage-listed non-denominational church, magically positioned on the waterfront of Port Douglas. Michelle conducts services here at 11am on Sundays. Such a tranquil setting on this visit but on Sunday mornings it is surrounded by markets and crowds of tourists. 


Sunday



Having attended the Mossman service at 8.30 am, I now wandered the market stalls and found a gorgeous wooden kangaroo toy for my darling Grandson Ben, in Canada. I then relaxed on the rocks at the water's edge. The colour of the sea was pure bliss to witness.




But back to Friday - a visit to Jim's favourite bakery in Port Douglas provided us with sustenance for lunch, which we enjoyed beside this crystal clear stream on our way to the "Bump Track".


Midday, in late winter in north Queensland, is not a good time to be setting off on a hike, but it was our only opportunity to take this trail.

The peak on the RHS is where we were headed.

I've tried hard to make these signs readable, as the history of this escape route away from the coast if the Japanese landed is quite remarkable. Sadly I don't think I have succeeded.





The trail - yes, extremely steep and canopied with only one view west to a waterfall and one east to the coast, just north of Port Douglas. I am posing for effect, but my hair and shirt were dripping with sweat and there were numerous rest stops on the way up.


The coastal view.


The Bible Society fundraising dinner for the Children's Cancer Hospital in Nicaragua raised $1800. Impressive for a small congregation.


Saturday morning, Michelle was free to join us at the Mossman markets, held in the grounds of the Anglican Church, beneath magnificent Rain Trees, covered in epiphytes.







I just loved the mountain backdrop to the markets.

After lunch, we took a drive to Shannonvale and another simply wonderful stream and swimming hole for hot humid, summer days, but that will be another post.

Sunday afternoon, after Michelle's two morning services we had to drive 40 minutes up onto the Atherton Tableland to Mt Molloy. The church and congregation are small but the views looking back to the coast quite splendid in the evening light.

Sitting on the tiny altar was a small vase of stunning hippeastrum. They had short stems because the wallabies had been eating them.



Monday morning, far too early, Jim drove me back to Cairns to catch the Spirit of Queensland back to Brisbane, a 24 hour journey.

Cairn's sunrise farewell.
I wonder how beautiful you have found the north?

I would love to read your comment.

13 comments:

  1. I have found it very beautiful! As always, I enjoyed seeing the pictures of the sea. It was also interesting to read about your sister-in-law's congregations. I'm glad you got some time to spend with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So calm and tranquil to sit beside but I couldn't help trying to imagine its wrath and destruction during our cyclone [hurricane] season. It's 18 months since Debbie passed through and people are still trying to get back on their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I find the North gorgeous! Thank you for the tour! Loved those beautiful beaches. I'm sure it was nice to catch up with your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially like St. David's... I put a church on today as well, but it's abandoned. As usual, your posts reward multiple visits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boa tarde, perfeita fotorreportagem com belas fotos de uma local onde a natureza ainda é rainha.
    Feliz fim de semana,
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow such a lot of lovely photos which brought back memories of my visit up that way. I particularly remember that little church at Port Douglas and the beauty of Mossman Gorge. You fitted in a lot on a short visit. I am very envious of you doing that train riide too, I would love to do it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Joan. The scenery was spectacular in its winter sunshine. The train journey is wonderful but be prepared for some interesting characters travelling on pension passes. I didn't have a sleeper as all booked out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found the north very beautiful! Thank you Helen for the photos!! You certainly fit a lot into your visit.

    The Mossman hospital looks quite new and a beautiful hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lynda. The hospital was actually built in 1930 and my google search just now, adds that it is Heritage listed with the architexture in the Mission Revival style. I thought it might have been art deco. Ceryainly very beautiful. White suits the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in Cairns for about 8 months and travelled further north - it's a very beautiful area! Your shots are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you if it was winter for the best part of your time there. I imagine your images are exceptionally beautiful.

      Delete
  11. Brought back some great memories there. Over the ferry into the Daintree and Cape Tribulation was one our favourite places. Some of the beaches were exactly what I'd imagined a tropical beach to be like

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning! Lovely to see those skies and the colour of the sea after a prolonged spell of fairly gloomy weather here.

    ReplyDelete