Sunday 12 August 2018

A Short Visit to Paradise

Last Sunday, 5 August, I joined my neighbours at 3 am for our 1,121 km journey north to Laurel's hometown of Proserpine in the Whitsundays. We took two or three short breaks and arrived at
5.15pm, an average I am told by Reg, of 85 km per hour, over 14 hours. 4 hours of that was through foggy conditions. The time past pleasantly but it was very sad to see the drought conditions for more than half of the journey.

The Proserpine region is both a sugar cane and beef growing area.

Monday morning saw us buying paint, rollers and all the necessities for painting a 3 bedroom home, belonging to Laurel's Mother. The house was empty so we were quickly underway. Thankfully we didn't have to paint the doors or trims and by Friday lunchtime the job was done. Laurel's Mother then visited to inspect and gave us the thumbs up. A tiring but satisfying effort.

I didn't actually wear this outfit, as suggested by my husband but it certainly made me look professional.


Yesterday, Saturday am, we drove the 26 km to beautiful Airlie Beach, gateway to the Whitsunday Islands.

The northern tropical temperatures had not been at all tropical all week, with cold mornings ranging from 6 to 9C. Yesterday the conditions were magical. I soon understood why the 'Grey Nomads'  of the southern states flock north for winter.





Yachties race week was coming to an end. 




The blue of the sea was magical. I thought I had found paradise, but there was traffic, no parking and people everywhere.

This morning, Sunday, we drove 42 km north to Dingo and Gloucester Beaches. I immediately knew I would be spending the day in Paradise.

Dingo Beach, 9am.


Netted swimming for the months from October to April.









The kookaburras were in full voice.


An hour or so later a short drive took us, via a dirt road, to Gloucester Beach and resort.

Craggy outcrops on the way.


Dry creekbed.

First glimpse.









Bush background to the beach.










Views seen driving into Dingo Beach.


The week hadn't been all painting. A country girl at heart, it was wonderful to be staying in a small country atmosphere town. One evening I went to darts with Laurel's brother Tony. I was partnered with Liz, who also provided a $5 meal of lasagna, salad and garlic bread. I hadn't thrown darts for 3 years and really not much at all before that. It was a fun night with these 20 locals. In the background was their footy team beating the Brisbane footy team in the final minute. Liz and I lost 2 games but we both won on the double, in the other two games. 

Friday night the McNeill family gathered for dinner at the POW - Prince of Wales Hotel. I upset them all by winning the meat tray in the raffle.

A short stroll passed the now closed Irish Pub, took us to the live entertainment of the Metropole.

The country-style singing duo was fantastic but I found the footy screen position just a tad distracting.


It's back to work tomorrow. Curtains to hang while the outside is cleaned by professionals. Tuesday will see the start of its coat of paint. Wednesday however, will see me not grabbing a paintbrush but grabbing my suitcase and heading north to Mossman to visit my brother, on the 6 am train. 

I fully expect to find another small slice of 'paradise' there.

I'd like to add that 'paradise' isn't always as it seems. The sea, for much of Queensland's coastline in the summer months of October to April, is just for looking at because of deadly stingers. Special stocking suits can be worn and enclosures, as at Dingo Beach will protect one. 

With the North's high summer temperatures and humidity, it would be awful not to be able to take a dip at whim, in these idyllic waters.

I would love to read your comment.

20 comments:

  1. You DO seem to have a good time wherever you go--- Love the beach, love the kookaburras. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kookaburras were in full voice for ages. I was so disappointed that I botched my recording of them.

      Delete
  2. We went up that way in winter some years ago, it was magical, just as your photos show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you have also enjoyed this amazing beauty.

      Delete
  3. Oh those beaches are lovely! What a great place to visit. Too bad about the stingers, but it sounds like the nets help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect in winter. Summer is just too humid.

      Delete
  4. Ouch to the stingers but the beach does look like Paradise! You've been busy - glad you mixed some fun with work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My day in 'paradise' was ample reward for a week of hard work. Thank you for the beauty and feeling of your 'Stillness' post.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, so beautiful. Guessing the enclosures are for jellies? Do people wear stinger suits? Grey nomads...makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't come north in the summer so can't really answer as to whether people wear the suits for a local swim. I know the tour operators provide them for snorkeling etc.

      Delete
  6. It all looks like paradise to me but I love the deeper into you get with your "first glimpse"! The air looks fresh and clean and clear and the water inviting (except for the thought of stingers). I say this because of the smoke from wildfires we are experiencing along with record heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping it stays like 'paradise'. We are fighting the Indian coal giant, Adani from opening a huge mine here that will drastically effect the reef.

      Delete
  7. As always, I enjoyed seeing your water shots since it's very different from what I view in my own backyard. I hope the drought improves for the Australian farmers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The water looks idyllic, but no fun if you can't swim in it for fear of stingers and/or sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very beautiful. The stingers sound fascinating but awful.
    Enjoy your time with your brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I'm sure many people would love to buy your gorgeous seaside photos. :)
      Big hugs!

      Delete
  10. The coast is just so picturesque! Enjoy travelling further north.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paradise indeed. On our visit we were unlucky to see the Whitsundays in two days of solid rain. A very good excuse to go back! I'm pining for those wonderful winter days we spent in Queensland in 2014

    ReplyDelete