Tuesday 12 December 2017

Sunrise at Dead Mans Flat.

Darling Ben was sleeping in this morning, so I took myself out to watch the sun rise over the range behind us at about 8.45am. The temperature was a mild 2C, most unusual for here at this time of year. The wonderful early snow in November has long melted and the locals are very disappointed. I am over the moon with being with Ben and thrilled with the scenery that surrounds where Stuart and Kim live.


The setting moon.

Looking east through the silver birches.

Southwest, this peak was catching first light.



My point and shoot didn't quite focus on the moon taking a ride down the birch branch.

Clouds catching the sun.

Spot the Canadian flag.

Patience was required but I kept snapping to take memories home. 



I startled these tiny birds resting in the snowless grass but it was to my advantage.     





Forty-five minutes later, the sun appeared. So glad it wasn't a cold morning.

 I loved the scrunching sound of the crisp snow, still lying in the creek bed of the route I took to the Bow River. 

From day 1 of walking here, with Stuart and their Sheeba dog, Gunner, I have been spellbound by the beauty around me. This morning, in the first light, it was magical beyond belief.



Reflection and floating ice.


What a perfect camping spot!



Breakfast and Ben were calling, so I turned around and retraced my steps, delighting again in the sun's rays and the scrunching snow.

So Granny is now in Calgary Airport, waiting for her 5.35pm flight to San Fran and then home. She is sad and happy, as this little man has wrapped his arms around her heart forever.


The joy of being with Ben, Stuart and Kim, was multiplied by the beauty that surrounds where they live, just half an hour from Banff. Feeling truly blessed and glad that Santa's gift came early.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely spot! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what an adorable little boy! I'm sure it was so hard to leave. Your son lives in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Helen, your scenery is spectacular but Ben, he's just super adorable!!!! He looks so happy and healthy. You look overjoyed.
    Thank you for your posts over the year and I would like to wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas filled with peace, joy and happiness with a sprinkling of good health thrown in. I look forward to joining you again in 2018. With hugs from across the miles xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with your family. I am sure you are leaving part of your heart behind. Ben is adorable.

    Wow! They live in an absolutely beautiful place. Thanks for sharing. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Helen! Beautiful baby Ben, beautiful family, beautiful scenery. I hope all those hugs & cuddles & kisses are enough to hold you until the next time. I hope your trip back home went smooth. You have wonderful memories to hold close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning scenery and charming photos of baby Ben. I've been skiing in Banff but would love to visit to walk among the mountains

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - stunning scenery! And Ben is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scenery is just spectacular! And Ben is adorable. Travel home safely Helen. I can't imagine it was easy to leave your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ♥ Such a beautiful place! I'm sorry you couldn't stay there for Christmas, but April will come before we know. :) ♥ Merry Christmas! ♥

    ReplyDelete