Tuesday 28 November 2017

The Excitement Mounts

Wednesday 29 November

After a very early flight from Brisbane, this finds me waiting at Sydney airport to take a connecting flight overseas. 

Where and why you ask?

My son is married to a beautiful Canadian lass and they live near Banff, in Alberta. This announcement was their gift to me on my birthday in March.

Granny quickly got into sewing mode and sent this gift, for Baby Dobbin's room. You might just be able to begin to imagine my anguish, when the parcel still hadn't arrived in Canada after 7 weeks. I was about to shop for more fabric, when 4 days into the 8th week, it finally arrived. Such a relief!

Baby Dobbin's due date was the 26 September, but he was in no hurry to be greeted by his parents.
This is the view from his hospital room on the 2nd October. Benjamin Gordon Dobbin arrived in sunshine and immediately brought sunshine and love to his parents and Grandparents. 

I was out hiking [surprise, surprise] when the 'ding' on my phone alerted me to the wondrous news of his healthy arrival.

So you have one super excited, first time Grandma / Granny, impatiently waiting to board her flight to take her, to her darling grandson Benjamin and to a fortnight of unlimited cuddles. It will be so wonderful to share the joy that this precious bundle brings to his parents.

The suitcase is full of gifts for Ben from my amazingly supportive friends, so I had to pass on this delightful manger scene and the koala / santa sleigh. Maybe next year.


Now just a few pics from recent weeks, that have also brought a smile to my face. 

This pruned, Callistemon shrub, at a busy local intersection, caught my eye as I drove passed.  I just had to find a park and walk back with my I-phone. Nature is just amazing, isn't it? Its bottle brush like flower heads were emerging from the base of its trunk!


And in my garden..............



This blue wren dashed out of the shrubs onto the lawn, but didn't stay long enough for me to get a clear image. 


And on my early morning walk.




 Now to board my flight for the 13 hour 40 min flight to San Francisco, 4 hours off the plane and finally a 3-hour flight to Calgary, where Ben and family will be waiting for me! 

I would love to read your comment.

20 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so excited for you! Have a wonderful trip to see that new grand baby. I love the quilt you made for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. He is the most adoreable little man.

      Delete
  2. Sweet and fun, Helen. We were planning on 5 days at the coast starting today, but I had an accident involving a runaway luggage cart at the hotel, and some very unforgiving asphalt. Well we're back home, and your post gave me a nice lift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such bad luck Bill. I hope recovery is going well. Ben is certainly making my hear swell.

      Delete
  3. Oh Helen the photo of you receiving the wonderful news of your Grandson brought tears to my eyes. It is filled with so much emotion!!! I loved the quilt you so lovingly crafted for him. The announcement in the snow was gorgeous!!
    Wishing you a safe journey and a lovely holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prunella. My heart fills with love and emotion every time I hold this precious bundle.

      Delete
  4. How exciting! Have a wonderful visit and I can picture you savouring every second in Ben's company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for you! This grandparenting "job" is awesome. October 2 is a special day in my family, too - my sister's birthday.

    I love the quilt and I'm glad it finally arrived. My granddaughters will have to settle for personalized books - no sewing here!

    I'm looking forward to photos of your special guy. I'm guessing your hiking may involve standing in place to comfort a disgruntled baby or pushing a stroller. ENJOY every moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. Pushing the pram in gently falling snow, has to make it one of the best hikes ever.

      Delete
  6. Great news, you must be thrilled! Look forward to the pictures to make me go gooey eyed and broody again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm over the moon and back and what a glorious supermoon last night, illuminating all the snow capped peaks around us.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! And happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fantastic news! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Very hard not to, with this little bundle of joy.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations!!! How exciting for all the family. Safe travels and we look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Such very special times for us all.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful news, Helen! Felicitations to you all!
    I believe and hope you will celebrate Christmas there... one of your most memorable Christmases ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. Santa's gift came early. I fly home on Tuesday.
      It has been a magical visit. His Unlimited cuddles, kisses, gurgles and smiles that fill the heart to overflowing with emotion, are going to be missed, but I return in April.

      Delete