Sunday 4 August 2024

Birds, Friends and Nature

Monday 5 August

 The beautiful weather continues. Overnight minimums of 5C and maximums of 20 - 22 C with sunny, blue skies. I must add though, that I am very happy to see drizzle falling this morning and I hope it becomes heavier. We are in need of a good shower or two.

I think I have mentioned previously, that the local birds feel they should be invited to join us for our outdoor meals. Whilst we are totally thrilled by their birdsong throughout the day, eating with us is not on!

A wonderful chorous of Butcher Birds. A shame the golfers distracted them.


This fellow [butcher bird] distrupted our morning coffee in the sun, this week. As you can see, he was looking for his best chance of snatching our food.

My friend Pam was here for a quick sandwich on Saturday. We had not long sat down, when this Magpie alighted on the table. Initially we were happy for him to just sit on the opposite side of the table, but in the end, the temptation of a morsel was just too great for him.



Tuesday was Pam's birthday. 

Reg, Laurel, Frank and I took Pam to my favourite picnic spot in the Mt Cootha Botanical Gardens. Pam's treatment prevents her from being in the sun. Any short time in the sun can result in severe sunburn. The table in the well covered pergola here, allowed Pam a lovely view of the gardens, and in particular, the golden flowering grevillea and wattle.



During the past few weeks I have been painting small pebbles to take to Ben and Nora in September.

 Pam loves cats so I also painted several for her birthday. 

My friend Jan is off on another overseas adventure - Lithuania, Lativia, Finland and Iceland. Joc and I joined her for farewell bubbles, at Southbank. Frank dropped me off on their way home. The river and our new footbridge [opening in 4 weeks time] was looking magnificent in the 3 pm light.

The Goodwill Bridge [opened 2001] was busy at 5pm, with commuters trekking home.


Note the seagull ambling by.

Yes, another bird wanting to join a human feast.

On Wednesday, the Hungry Hikers were back to three. A short drive took us to a suburban park for morning tea.


Whilst our town planners are allowing minimal sized housing blocks with almost no gardens for children to play in, the estates have to provide green space. A lovely stroll was enjoyed.





Flooded Gum - they grow up to 50 metres.


Friday afternoon was the monthly gathering of my Piggies group. Penny had kept her 70th birthday bubbles to share on this occasion. 

Our numbers were also down for this occasion. Our youngest Piggy, Liz, was having her final breast cancer treatment, so we raised a glass to wish her well and cancer free days ahead.

Liz's attitude.

July swiftly passed by and August has arrived. 
Yes, Linda, [Linda's Lens]  "Good friends are the jewels of life".

I would love to read your comment.

14 comments:

  1. I love the sign--- and I love the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just wonderful that breast cancer is no longer the death sentence of past years.

      Delete
  2. I like how you and your friends embrace all kinds of experiences in life! There is much to make a toast to, friends, nature and even the birds! Best wishes to Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, our hiking motto is "It's not the distance. It's the journey!" This rings true for making the most of every day.

      Delete
  3. Great meme! What lovely weather. Twenty degrees is perfect! Plenty for me. The heat and humidity here are brutal. Good luck to both of your friends! Look forward to seeing you both next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twenty degrees is perfect in my book too, Marie, so long as I have a coat on !
      August 12 here. September 12 will see us arriving in London to catch up with Matthew, before heading to the island. Excited plus!

      Delete
  4. Good luck tu you, wonderful ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post, Helen!
    Fun birds, lovely cakes and bubbles, really cute pebbles... and the most important of all, enjoying life and remembering how precious good health is.
    Happy August days to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Magpie looks pesky. A fun video. LOL at the sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magpie doesn't visit very often. It is normally the Butcher Birds and the Noisy Miners.

      Delete
  7. Our weather in Sydney is like that too at the moment. I laughed at the birds, I don't want to share my meals with them either, we went to Manly beach this week and sea gulls swooped down on our food coming at us from behind then snap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trying to eat surrounded by seagulls isn't relaxing. It is amazing how many appear, as soon as food is brought out!

    ReplyDelete