Monday 12 August 2024

Birds and Lavender

 A quiet week on the walking front, but our local birds have been bringing me joy.

I help a friend look after her garden. The Fairy Wrens are often present and are a delight to watch. I took my camera with me last week in the hope I would get some lovely images. Just two. They flit so quickly.



I was walkng into our home one afternoon and spotted these butcher birds in the bird bath. I snuck inside quietly and quickly took this image through a window. As expected, they flew off before I returned outside.

The pelicans haven't been frequenting the ponds as often. Frank and I were enjoying an outside morning coffee when I spotted three soaring overhead. Once again, I was too slow finding the camera and only one remained.



Making breakfast several days ago, I spotted this distinguished character sitting on our fencepost. He posed for as long as required!









I visited the city's Roma Street Gardens with friends. The Ibis is a much unliked bird because of its habit of eating from cafe tables and rubbish bins. Yes, suburbia has taken over his habitat.  I think this fellow is looking particularly splendid.

A few metres further on, we found this sculpture. Perfect!
Brisbane is hosting the Olympic Games in 2032, and there is a proposal to have the Ibis as our mascot. A very controversial topic at present.

An unexpected journey on Monday to Cleveland, on Redland Bay, took me past the Sirromet winery and lavender farm. I had not expected to see the the lavender in bloom. An earlier, heavy passing shower of rain meant their perfume was filling the air. I just had to find a safe spot to turn around to enter the vineyard's driveway. Having done so, I was disappointed not to be able to see them. I finally parked beside the busy road, and safely crossed to take these images, and for a short while, enjoy their beauty through the fence.




Spot the Fairy Wren.

Nature brings so much joy to every day.

I would love to read your comment.

19 comments:

  1. Spring is coming soon and so are the flowers and birds. You captured quite a few birds. I like the kookaburra best. I don't like Ibis and I hope it wont be the olympic icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sad for the ibis. They were an inland native Australian bird, but drought saw them find the major cities in the late1970's. Not sure though I want them as an icon for the games. Visitors won't be impressed with them feeding in all the outdoor cafes.

      Delete
  2. Some wonderful bird pictures! Are butcher birds similar to magpies? Or at least the same family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, we have several black and white birds and I am always getting them confused, especially the magpie and butcher birds.
      "Together with three species of currawong and two species of peltops, butcherbirds and the Australian magpie form the subfamily Cracticinae in the family Artamidae."

      Delete
  3. Being quiet on the walking front does not stop you from finding joy and beauty in your everyday life!

    I did not realize the Ibis was associated to Australia enough to be named as a mascot. It is very common here. I would think something solely associated to Australia would be more appropriate for the Olympics Mascot! That's just my opinion!

    Yes, I see the Fairy Wren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 3 native ibis. The ibis is either loved or hated because it has become a scavenger in our cities.

      Delete
  4. I know, taking pictures of birds is difficult! They never sit still. That lavender field is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fairy Wrens must be my favourites (already the name is so cute) but the kookaburra is very handsome too.
    A lavender farm! How lovely is that! The smell there must have been wonderful.
    Nature brings much joy indeed and I feel that here in the north, August is especially pretty when we start to approach autumn.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I love the fairy wrens. They used to be in our garden but the noisy minors hace chased them away. 🥲
      Nature continually lifts ones spirits. Enjoy these last precious weeks of summer.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your bird photos, especially the cooperative fellow on the post. My granddaughter enjoyed taking photos of lavender when their family was on vacation in Oregon recently. I told her that she got a head start on next year's 4-H photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't he cooperative, just? So all the family have been travelling. Lovely!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful bird pictures. When I try to take a photo of birds, they never sit still. Thank you for your last comment on my blog, you are very kind.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Margi. It is always a wonderful pleasure to visit your blog.

      Delete
  8. Love your photos of the lavender fields. That distinguished little bird appears to have a mohawk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Peter. They weren't easy to take. First off was finding a safe park. Then crossing a busy road. Up an embankment and then through netted fencing, but it was lovely to get that close.

    ReplyDelete