Monday 8 July 2024

My July Winter Garden

 Sunday 7 July

I trust my Canadian and American friends have enjoyed wonderful, National Days. This time last year we celebrated with Ben and Nora in Canada.  Stanley and Stanlietta sent them a special message.


The past week has been spent accompanying my dear friend Pam, to the Royal Brisbane Hospital for her daily radium treatment. Tomorrow is the last one, but she will have to continue on her trial 'chemo' tablets. We won't know for 8 weeks if the radium has reduced or slowed the lung cancer. 

On returning home each day, my spirits lift with a wander in the garden. Unlike many of you reading this post, my tropical winter garden has lots of colour to bring delight. Our summer is far too hot for the colour to last.

My camelias have been stunning.


The past week has been wet. This camelia had fallen perfectly on the ground. I was able to gently lift it into this bowl, where it has been absolutely beautiful for 6 days.

The camelia shrubs however,  are beginning to feel the effects of the continued rain. This photo was taken late yesterday. The primula, hydrangea and azalea though, are doing well for spring's arrival.

 A friend has a 70th birthday in September and I am freezing a few of the camelias in balloons, to put in the ice bucket.

Our home and pool take up much of our block, so my garden has many small scattered areas.
This little nook is next to the camelia bed. The pansies are flowering, but I've decided that they don't have enough winter sunshine here. They are unable to lift their heads.

On a whim, I bought a packet of mixed spring flower seeds. They are flourishing in a bed that is usually filled with tomatoes and lettuce.

Opposite is the terraced pool bed, with rosemary, lemon scented mossie deterent geranium, and self sown dill.
Can you also spot my tiny bush rose that is looking its best in 20 years?

Outside our poolside lounge door, is this little collection of flowers and memories. The plant stand was a Mother's Day gift from my boys 20 years ago. The boots walked many kilometres, with the Wainright Coast to Coast, their ultimate adventure.  The gorgeous pig reflects my wonderful and long friendship with "The Pigs".

The gardens at the front of the house are mainly native shrubs that look after themselves, but provide colour and beauty all year.    Bromeliads are planted beneath them.




This bed borders our driveway and our neighbour's garden. Gazanias and hippeastrum bulbs make a dense ground cover.

Our entrance garden is also waiting for spring.

To the left of it, another minature bush rose has suddenly started to flourish. It also, has never looked this good. Finally, my words of encouragement have brought an amazing result.

Now, we return to the golf side of our home, to the pergola area. Here a dancing lady orchid is in full bloom on the table. The pot has also become home to small crow's nest ferns. The seed of the crow's nest is very fine and blows on the wind. I'll have to wait for the orchid to stop flowering [6/8 weeks] to pot up the crow's nests.

These are assorted images of the front and side of the pergola.


Eucharis Lily




We love our birds to visit and sing to us. Of late though, every time we eat here, they come en masse and dive on the food on the table. They have become a terrible nuisnace.

Our neighbours garden [on the right looking at the golf course] adds colour to our view. The white shrub is Snowflakes. [family of pointsettias] The orange plant in the foreground is a new cacti specimen now found in our nurseries. I have yet to find its name. At the far end is the vibrant winter creeper, Orange Trumpet Vine or Pyrostegia venusta.

As I have driven to Pam's the past 3 weeks, this Pink Trumpet tree has been looking sensational.

My time in the garden is often lengthened as the view across the golf course is constantly changing.
5pm yesterday.

I would love to read your comment.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, John. Not quite the wildflower beauty you are discovering at present.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful setting and you keep it so lovely with your additions!

    Hope your friend does well with the treatment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie we are so very fortunate to live beside the golf course, as it extends the garden so far.

      Delete
  3. You have such beautiful flowers around your home! Rain sounds good right now as we are in a heat wave where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems very early in summer for you to have such high temperatures. I hope rain brings relief sooner than later!

      Delete
  4. Your garden is charming! We are in the middle of a triple-digit heat spell. The plants and the birds are not happy. It will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear Bill, I hope it passes quickly and you return to pleasnt temperatures for the remainder of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes to your friend. Such a beautiful garden. Wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Margi. Totally different to yours, which I love soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful oasis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. We are usually visiting PEI at this time of year, so I am really enjoying working in the garden in the cooler temperatures. Rain has been constant all year and that makes a big difference, as you know.

      Delete
  9. Wow you have a great garden with lots and lots of plants. Your camellias are grevilleas are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink camelia has been flowering for weeks and is absolutely stunning.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful garden
    The first thing I thought was, plants in winter?? Then I thought, so much work, but looks worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, Mary. I am so enjoying being here for my winter garden. overall, most plants I have, have to look after themselves. The summer colour is quite drab because of the heat.

      Delete
  11. I just had to close my eyes and wish when I saw the words "July" & "Winter" used together in the title of this post! With the lack of any kind of moisture here and the extreme heat, I think I need to go get lost in my ice skating videos & photos.

    Your garden in so pretty and the joy in tending to it must come in abundance. I agree with you, that Pink Trumpet Tree looks sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sensational and long lasting!
    I am so sad that your part of the world continues to suffer from drought and heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best wishes for Pam. That's a scary thing to go through. I love your winter garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank yo, Peter. Pam is one strong, amazing 81 year old. He husband passed away from cancer/covid two mnths prior to Pam being diagnosed with lung cancer and she has never somked! Winter and early spring, is the best time of year in our garden.

    ReplyDelete