Monday 22 July 2024

Chilly Beauty

 Brisbane, golf ponds and full moon.

This past week we knew winter had definitely arrived. Over night minimums dropped to 5 and 6 centigrade and the windchill factor, on our sunny 17 - 21 maximums, was icy as a result of the strong westerlie winds blowing.

Janice and I were the only Gaiter Girls available to walk on Tuesday. We drove to the Apollo Ferry Terminal to take the ferry across to Brett's Wharf on Kingsford Smith Drive Hamilton, our starting point for our riverside walk back to the city. 

Hamilton is one of the older suburbs of Brisbane and has many lovely old prostigious homes. Janice hadn't done this walk previously. A wonderful old white Queenslander caught her eye, high on the hill. We agreed that it would be worth our taking a closer look and so changed direction. We never found the beauty, but spent a lovely couple of hours admiring many of the magnificent homes and their city views.

A rare deciduous tree.





The Gateway Bridge - opened in 1986 to cross the river and bi-pass the city. Its 4 lanes replaced a ferry crossing. In 2010 it was duplicated. It looks insignificant from this distance, but close up, as in a 2018 photo, it is massive and impressive.


The following morning, there was just one pelican feeding on the misty golf ponds.

I was fully expecting this to be a short post. 

On Wednesday afternoon, the Hungry Hikers took a short, cold and windy walk along Bulimba Creek, before retiring to Leanne's nearby unit to cheer her up after her recent back operation. Thankfully she didn't require a lot of cheering up, as from the moment she woke from her operation, she knew it had been successful. No more debilitating sciatic pain whatsoever.

Time to conclude this post? 

It would have been, but Sunday evening saw the full moon rising over the golf course and for once, the sky was clear of clouds.



I was watching it rise with our neighbours, but the shimmering light on the ponds, soon had me rushing down to the water's edge.


The sky to the west, as I walked back.

Time to conclude now?

It would have been, but I was awake at 4am on Monday morning, and couldn't get back to sleep. I checked the moon's setting time and decided to head down to the ponds just after 5.30. My liitle camera doesn't do a great job in poor light, but this is the scene that greeted me. 

The photos in order from 5.40 to 6am. The first and second are from my camera. The third from my Iphone. A much truer image. You should be able to pick the rest, although as the time passed and the sky lightened, both were very similar.






6.06 onwards.



A lone pelican flew in,



And the moon began to play games.




Finding breakfast.

6.45 the moon has sunk below the tree line. I reluctantly made my way back to the house, with the golden glow of sunrise on my back.

Beating the chill.

5C when I set out. Only 13C at 10 am, so I was still wearing most of this clothing as our unheated home felt colder than the outside. Warmer days ahead and the sky continues to be cloudless.

Just the best start to my day!

I would love to read your comment.

15 comments:

  1. Ha! Summer temperatures here in England! The moon photos are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know John, but we laugh when you folk complain about the heat. My weather app says you have sunny warm weather at present. Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. The moon shots are great-- and you know I love the pelican!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. I can'y resist a pelican either. Not that you would have noticed!

      Delete
  3. Si caminar es bueno, si se hace en compañía se hace bastante ameno.
    Muy bueno el reportaje fotográfico, que has hecho, de tu salida.
    Que tengas un buen día.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the tour of your lovely town. Nice moon photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely time of year to enjoy it all.

      Delete
  5. I like how you played along when the moon began to play games! Seeing you all bundled up like that with no snow, plays with my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Rugged up for 1 week of the year! I plays with my mind that you are rugged up for 6 months of the year!

      Delete
  6. I especially enjoyed the harbor views because it so different from here. You all looked like you were shivering in that one photo and you are dressed to battle the cold in that final photo! Your moon shots were beautiful. I never have any luck with photographing the moon, but you certainly do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. We do have a very beautiful city wth the river meandering through. I can't imagine living where it is flat forever.

      Delete
  7. It's fun to see you wearing some wintry accessories... :)
    John's comment made me smile. Summer temperatures here in Finland as well... even though now we have warm weather and would really appreciate some rain.
    Your moon photos are excellent and both the urban views and landscapes are beautiful.
    I find the bridge impressive from all distances. :)
    Hugs from Finland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that rain comes soon, Sara. I love being rugged up for 'our' winter. The Gateway bridge is very impressive from near and far. Cruise boats no longer pass under it, as a new terminal has been built closer to the river mouth. Hugs back to you.

      Delete
  8. You are really bundled up! Love all the moon photos. Those city views are really spectacular. You live in a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter, I love where I live. City, mountain and coastal vistas all within an hour's drive or less depending on traffic congestion. Our family visited LA in 1996 and we were nervous of your freeways. Our road systems now look similar but I wonder how choked and expanded yours is now?

    ReplyDelete