Sunday 3 December 2023

Another walk. Another Suburb

 Wednesday 29 Novemeber.

Joc recently found an article about walking in North Lakes on the north side of Brisbane. The Hungry Hikers were only five, so we met at 6.30 at our usual rendevous point at Belmont, to travel the last 35 mins together. I had to set off at 5.30 and take a circuitous route, to avoid the heavy traffic on the M1. It really has become a nightmare.

North Lakes, an urban planned development, opened in 2007. There is constant advertising of its lifestyle living, leaving me with negative feelings towards this suburb.

Our visit changed these completely. North Lakes is a totally appropriate name, as we walked beside numerous lakes of varying sizes. It is a leafy suburb, with wide shady paths, lovely parks, and landscaping using our native flora. We walked 10 km until the heat was too exhausting. Mid morning saw us sitting  with a refreshing cold drink, beside the largest lake, where our car was parked.

Before setting off, Joc provided a delicious potted breakfast, coffee and a gingerbread biscuit. I'm not sure why Margot has a coat on. For sure it wasn't needed. My long sleeve shirt is light and cool, with a UPF 50+ sun rating.




Poincianna tree.

Swallows, turtles and catfish were spotted.



This lillypilly with its bright pink fruit, would make a lovely Christmas tree, if decorated.










The dandelions were growing in such profusion that I thought I was back in spring, on Prince Edward Island. They are usually a very unimpressive weed here. These fields were a mass of wonderful, yellow blossoms.



This Sulphur crested Cockatoo was either a poser, or just very hungry, as he allowed Joc to get within 2 metres of his feeding.

The bees were buzzing on almost every dandelion. So wonderful to see.



Rain had been a possiblity. We had all packed and umbrella. They were unfurled, not for rain, but for shade, on this very hot morning.



Banksia




Setting off pose!

Near the end pose. It was hot!

I would love to read your comment.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like two swallows on that wire guard fence... What a lovely place for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bill, they were the only two that sat still.

      Delete
  2. It looks to be quite easy walking - and on a hot day that's just what is needed. I must admit that the word "suburb" in your title did not give me any great expectations - how wrong I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A surprise foe both of us, John. There many more paths to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spectacular area. You are so right about the dandelions but no cockatoos here for sure. I cannot imagine how you can walk in that heat. I am done-in by our two weeks of high temperatures in July. You are amazing, Helen! Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the field of dandelions would have been a dust bowl a month ago. It was just beautiful and so unexpected. Re walking in the heat, we have had a lifetime of summers getting accustomed to it. I always think of the non coastal Aussies who live and work in far higher temperatures.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful views, lovely colours and really tasty things for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very tasty, Sara. Such a lovely morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful area! Walking on a hot day must be tireling, so I admire you, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margi, we only walk early morning and late afternoon, in these temperatures.

      Delete
  8. A perfect place to walk despite the heat. Love that you met for breakfast too. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an unexpected breakfast and quite delicious!

      Delete
  9. Googled to find out what a "potted breakfast" was! I would go for that! The scenery on this walk looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joc, makes up 5 pots each week so that they are ready for her each morning, Alexandra. Yes, it was a delightful walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You found another beautiful place for a walk. I loved all the vibrant colors, especially as our landscape has turned brown - except for the wheat fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can probably tell, but the above comment was from your Kansas friend!

      Delete
  12. Hello Kim. It is weird that your first comment is Annoymous but your name for the second! I am loving the green!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lakes look lovely. I smiled about the dandelions. I have often wondered if I just let the lawn go whether the dandelions would look lovely like that. I somehow doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm afraid that I have to agree, Joan. I've never seen dandilions growing in such profusion before.

    ReplyDelete