Tuesday 13 October 2020

Rewarding Mt Cotton

Thursday 24 September

I recently learnt of a trail up Mt Cotton, a high point in our local area.

Driving through the Mt Cotton area, it is not a stand out 'mountain'! Just another bump in our bushy, rolling hills.

"Mt Cotton varies in altitude/ elevation from about 18m [highlight point] to 230 m [highlight point] above sea level."

Yes, one mighty [small] mountain to tackle on this lovely, early morning walk, but the rewards were manyfold.


Going up.

Coming down.

At the top - the Brisbane city skyline was clear to the naked eye, if not in my photo.

Out to the bay.

Looking south. My home is just in behind the smoke. The fire was not of any consequence.

Looking SW to the Scenic Rim peaks and the NSW border.


Leanne was in charge of morning tea. As the notes [re the trail] had mentioned a table at the top, we carried our supplies up to enjoy with the view. I must add, that we met at 6.30am, so it was hardly morning tea time. Unknown to Joc and I, Leanne had been up early to cook us a bacon and egg burgar. Wrapped in alfoil, it was still deliciously warm.



A couple of hours later, after completing a circuit at Venmans Conservation Park, Leanne also provided this amazing lemon slice, for us to enjoy.

Wildlife 

Spot the orange bugs in this image below. We were so taken with the view, that we didn't notice the aggregation of Harlequin Bugs. It was as we turned to continue on, that we were overwhelmed with their numbers and striking colours.

"Aggregation - a defensive strategy. Many aposematically coloured insects aggregate. These are insects that have some form of chemical defense against preditation and are usually brightly coloured."













Venmans Conservation Park.






Several hours after my return from this wonderful walk, I had a stinging sensation on my back. As it worsened, I asked my husband to see if there was a bite mark. He found this tick deeply embedded in my left shoulder. If a doctor is near by, I don't like to detach them myself. A very good decision on this occasion, as it was so deeply embedded the doctor had to eventually dig it out. Thankfully, an antihistame prevented any great discomfort over the next few days.

It may have been a short hike, but it certainly packed in a big wow factor, living up to our motto, "It's not the distance. It's the journey!"

I would love to read your comment.

9 comments:

  1. The view was wonderful and the walk must have been great. Those Harlequin. Ugh looks quite big. Their underside is quite colourful too,

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bugs looked like alien ladybugs. VERY alien. You live in a delightful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is wonderful to pre-cook breakfast and have goodies too! Those bugs look like ladybugs on steroids! Sorry about the tick and glad you got it out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Leanne outdid herself! Those Harlequin Bugs are something! So colorful. Gosh - that was one deep tick. Yuck - glad you didn't try to get that out yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack! I didn't know you had ticks! Do you have Lyme disease there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your Harlequin insects much better than the tick! I, like Barb, hope it doesn't carry Lyme disease. I'm also glad the fire wasn't bad. Your snacks certainly looked yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lyme disease is not recognised by the Health Department in Australia because, to date, there is no evidence that native ticks carry the bacteria which causes the illness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those harlequin bugs are amazing ... I have never seen them before. As for ticks ... I hate them as they make me really sick. Fortunately I have not encountered them since leaving Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you treat eating and drinking on a hike with the same dedication I do! :)
    Those bugs - amazing. That Tick - nasty little devils!

    ReplyDelete