Wednesday 8 January 2020

Summer Holidays

Sunday 29 December, 2019

Down under, Christmas is summer holiday time. My husband and I rarely visit the coast at this time, because of the crowds and dense traffic. This year we had Christmas with Frank's sister at the southern end of the Gold Coast, at Tweed Heads. Tweed Heads is actually in New South Wales and not Queensland.

The Sunday after Christmas I decided I needed a walk, in fact a long walk. I consulted bus timetables and found that I could walk as far as I liked, north along the coastline, and there would be a bus to transport me back within any given half hour of time.

As a lover of sunrises and also with a need to beat heat, I was on my way by 4.45 am.

4.35 am view from Mag's balcony. Not looking promising for a colourful sunrise.

Thankfully, I remembered to look back 5 minutes into the walk and was thrilled with the colours that now filled the sky.


5.10 am found me at Point Danger, looking south.


Most mornings, soon after 4am, boats are heard on the river, heading out to sea for a spot of fishing. From the headland I was able to spot their favourite fishing reef, using my 30 X zoom lens.


Here I dropped down from the headland to the world famous surfing point, Snapper Rocks and the distant, hazy view of Surfer's Paradise.

After turning the corner at Snapper Rocks, the walk along Rainbow Bay, at low tide, was serene.

Another rocky point negoiated and Coolangatta Beach greeted me - 5.30 am.

Footsteps in the sand and looking back to Snapper Rocks on the horizon.

By 6am I had joined a walking / cycling path parralell to the shoreline. There were regular beach entries.

North Kirra Beach



It would seem that the frangipani thrives on poor rainfall. Many intensely coloured trees were spotted.




Another look back to Snapper Rocks - 6.45 am

The Pandamus trees along our shoreline are quite dignified.


The ocean's aqua blue was mesmersing as the sun rose higher.


8 am saw me at Currumbin Beach and making my way to Currumbin Creek for a much needed dip in its water.


It was here that I found family holiday makers. It was an awesome sight and atmosphere.



Surfing lessons if you can find a space.

Never too young.

Never too old to be a surf life saver.

New styles of surfing.

Feeling a whole lot cooler, I continued along Currumbin Creek, where the holiday atmosphere was just as wonderful.

It appeared that paddle boards may have been a No 1 Santa gift this year.








Volunteer sea rescue just in from patrol.

Nearly 2 kms along the creek shoreline, I was able to cross to its opposite bank via a footbridge, now replacing the 72 year old railway line that was decommissioned in 1961. A very poor decision. Millions are now being spent to replace it.

This shoreline was mostly of mangroves, but a wonderful boardwalk has been built through it.



Almost back to the creek mouth - view across to where I had had my swim.



Happy sounds and faces.

Leaving Currumbin Creek behind, I continued along Palm Beach to Tallebudgera Creek.


10.30am - here the path came to an end but I was happy to again paddle along the shoreline.




Someone had spent a very creative morning.

The still water of Tallebudgera Creek was also extremely popular. It was difficult to find a shady spot to enjoy, in comfort, my coffee and delicious muffin. In the background, is the rainforest hinterland that we often hike. Much of it was burnt out in the November fires.



Holiday fun!

Four sting rays floated under the bridge as I crossed.

Lots of small fish were spotted in the clear water, even with all the bodies jumping off the bridge.



Headland at Burleigh Heads has been negotiated, to be greeted by this wonderful view.
1pm

More happy crowds on this glorious, sunny, blue sky day.



The markets were an unexpected bonus with puchases made for my OS Grandchildren.



North Burleigh Heads Beach. My starting point was on the far left. Time to cool down again.



I only stayed in long enough to refresh myself, as these beautiful jellyfish were also enjoying the waves.

Walking round the headland to Miami Beach. It was nearing 2pm and my GPS was showing that I had covered 32 kilometres. Time to take a beach shower, change and find a bus. The Gods were on my side. The bus stop was extremely close to the beach and a bus arrived within 5 mins, transporting me back to Tweed Heads in under half an hour. I couldn't have planned it better.

I'm sure these brought a smile to many a face.

A shower, a good book, a glass of wine and Mag's fine river view was a perfect way to wind down after this marvellously rewarding day. What an incredibly beautiful coastline we have!
I would love to read your comment.

12 comments:

  1. You have beautiful places to walk! Nice that you can also fit in a quick dip if you get too hot. I hope that the terrible fires your country is experiencing will be put out soon and that lots of rain falls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved both sets of sculptures-- and the incredible sand turtle/castle. A lovely day, and I'm delighted to be able to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really worried about your country. Glad to see it isn't all on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing rain for where it is needed in the land downunder! You have such pretty places to hike. I love all your ocean photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply wonderful, again! :) Blue skies, refreshing water, flowers and green plants!
    Lovely photos, Helen,...except perhaps the stingrays, they look ominous, don't they! :)
    Thank you for reminding me about the frozen tulips. This year I should invent something new.
    Hugs from Finland! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing walk! Love love the sunrise shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your early-morning start certainly paid off with that beautiful sky. It looked like a beautiful stroll the whole way. Thanks for sharing the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh that was an impressively long walk ... I was exhausted reading it. I not only avoid the beach, I avoid Qld at this time year ... much too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen
    Just catching up on the past few months of your blog (busy at work so my reading has fallen behind). Loved your posts about your visit to my home county and all your wonderful, fun walks with your friends in Queensland. I loved this walk in particular, especially the swim option and the distance - over 30km - impressive! :)
    Of course all this set in the sad context of all the terrible bush fires. So tragic to see your landscapes so devastated. Hope that in time it can all recover its former glory.
    All the best
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello and happy Friday evening, Helen! I just had again a refreshing and soothing look at these photos. It's so good to hear at least some parts of your country have had rain now! Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The beach, the water, the sand, the jellyfish, happy people - all wonderful. The disposable cups and plastic lids - not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful hike! You really made a day of it. My feet would have been complaining by the end. I think it's great that you could hike as far as you wanted and then return on the bus. The water views are amazing! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete